Hotel Rock forest answer to pre run question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like you have to log in to find out....

The forest on Little Baullie Mesa was subject to a "forest replacement project" by the BLM. We stopped at the ranger station on the way home, they gave us a document explaining the process. Basically the trees were masticated (chipped and dispersed) and the area was reseeded by aircraft.

so, basically... I could have stepped on the crypto crust all I wanted when we were there 2 years ago?

so, basically... I could have stepped on the crypto crust all I wanted when we were there 2 years ago?

Pretty much.

I tried not to take any pix of it, was very disappointed, looked terrible. Towards the end of the day took one. The area around Hotel Rock is even more barren. The view from the ridge pix are from this year and 2009, taken from the same place.
H_R_trees_1.jpg
H_R_trees_2.jpg
H_R_trees_2009.jpg

your tax dollars at work :rolleyes:

What was the goal of the BLM in doing this? Trying to introduce different species of trees, or?

purportedly to break up an overgrowth of piñon and juniper and introduce more diversity

Probably having to do with some sort of fire safety also (trees being too close together)? Or just diversify?

they mention that fires from the current growth stand would get hotter and more dangerous to firefighters than what they expect in the future, but by the same token, there have always been fires on this land, so why make life-risking attempts to fight them ?

Last edited:
Thanks Tools, I find these things interesting and the attachment tells it all in detail.

they mention that fires from the current growth stand would get hotter more dangerous to firefighters than what they expect in the future, but by the same token, there have always been fires on this land, so why make life-risking attempts to fight them ?

The problem is the Forest Service thought ever fire was a bad fire and worked to put them out. As a result many natural fire were fought instead of letting them burn naturally. The end result is over grown forest with no natural fire breaks from old fires. I remember when the Forest Service decided to change direction back in the eighties? A natural fire that started in Yellowstone park was left to burn naturally. But because all previous had been put out almost half the park burned. Since that time the Forest Service is working towards bring the forest back to a natural state without having them burn completely down.:cheers:

I fought forest fires in Idaho until the late 80's when I joined the Air Force. At that time, there was no fire too big or too small to spend a ton of money on suppressing. As mentioned, the side effect of that was that the fuel levels were out of control.

I got out of the "game" right before the Yellowstone fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom