Hot water / shower products for camp / vehicle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hot-shower-Camping-gas-electro-geyser-water-heater-rv-wildcamping-camping-fishing-outdoor-vanlife-butan-12v-220v-4x4.jpg

This is my hot shower setup since 10 years, by using a heat exchanger to get hot water when the engine is running.

hot-shower-Camping-gas-electro-geyser-water-heater-rv-wildcamping-camping-fishing-outdoor-vanlife-butan-12v-220v-4x4-heat-exchanger-components-diy.jpg

Here I did start to collect solutions and components for a hot shower by gas, diesel, 12v, 110v/220v and solar at this link:

US Market:
Hot water and shower solutions for vanlife, overlanding and outdoor. - https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2021/06/hot-water-and-shower-for-vanlife.html

European Market (german):
Heisse Aussendusche - Lösungsansätze für Vanlife und Overlanding - https://www.4x4tripping.com/2021/06/heisse-dusche-fuer-Overlanding-Vanlife.html

For portable shower solutions the us market delivers more stuff, for components for DIY Shower Projects, Water Boilers (geyser) - the european market delivers more, therefore both are listened.

Funny to try too get an overview over the international market. Like at example the Ironman 4×4 Eco Pressure Shower from south africa is sold a DrPrepare at the US market.

Surfy

Last edited:
Ive decided when it is a needed item, Im going with the Joolca Nomad setup.

Ive decided when it is a needed item, Im going with the Joolca Nomad setup.

Why is that your favorite piece? How looks your travelling Setup like?

This hottap unit dosnt look bad. But I dont think that we with normal size 4x4 can carry them? At least not those who are not just weekenders and are really travelling by a 4x4.

sizing.JPG

Guess it doesnt matter if you sleep inside or in a rtt - you dont have that much space left :-( Here is a view into my rig:

sleepinginside.jpg

I guess it is something for travellers who are using a trailer. Travellers who are using bigger rigs like the mercedes Sprinter or bigger will probably dont want something who is portable like this unit, if you get a view in the "Sprinter Build Out International" FB Group where they are showing their DIY-Projects.

trippin

Why is that your favorite piece? How looks your travelling Setup like?

This hottap unit dosnt look bad. But I dont think that we with normal size 4x4 can carry them? At least not those who are not just weekenders and are really travelling by a 4x4.

View attachment 2716975

Guess it doesnt matter if you sleep inside or in a rtt - you dont have that much space left :-( Here is a view into my rig:

View attachment 2716982

I guess it is something for travellers who are using a trailer. Travellers who are using bigger rigs like the mercedes Sprinter or bigger will probably dont want something who is portable like this unit, if you get a view in the "Sprinter Build Out International" FB Group where they are showing their DIY-Projects.

trippin
I sleep in the back of my hundred. Simiar to what yours looks like. Everything moves to the front seats. Not too concerned right now about showering. My trips have not been longer.than a week. To me this looks like an ideal unit. I already carry two totes to do dishes and wash up in. I can get rid of all the small cans of fuel for cooking by using the same tank.

So I had some inquiry on my hot water set up on my turtle back trailer so here it goes.

I used 2 quick connect water pressure fittings behind the sink, link tech male and female. Used on the water heater as well.
6A213C04-9FF7-4AF1-B2C5-F09A6C399B24.jpeg

The case is a pelican 1550, water heater is a camp chef.
7AFCC927-0B56-46E8-B58C-216EA8107CBF.jpeg

2 food grade quality lines for hot and cold, between the sink fittings and water heater.
image.jpg

Too mount the case and water heater, I used the gamiviti spare tire mount and quick release accessory mount. Also quick release propane connections.

I also have an extend shower hose to get it away from the trailer.

Only issue I have ran into is the factory welds on the water heater bracket failed. So I had to fix that, no big deal.

This one is easy to use in a pinch. Not as much hot water flow but better than ice water. Cheaper and easy to pack. Mr Heater

So I had some inquiry on my hot water set up on my turtle back trailer so here it goes.

I used 2 quick connect water pressure fittings behind the sink, link tech male and female. Used on the water heater as well.
View attachment 2739390

The case is a pelican 1550, water heater is a camp chef.
View attachment 2739393

2 food grade quality lines for hot and cold, between the sink fittings and water heater.
View attachment 2739397

Too mount the case and water heater, I used the gamiviti spare tire mount and quick release accessory mount. Also quick release propane connections.

I also have an extend shower hose to get it away from the trailer.

Only issue I have ran into is the factory welds on the water heater bracket failed. So I had to fix that, no big deal.

Bumping an old thread, but I am building a similar set-up for my offroad trailer in a 1550, and a couple questions: Any issues with the hinges carrying the weight mounted in the lid after time? And second issue I'm concerned about in my build is the heat venting, so I spaced it out 1 1/2" to allow the unit to fully vent while it's running. Looks like you didn't, so any venting issues, plastic overheating? Anything you mighta done differently after using it awhile? Thanks in advance.

Bumping an old thread, but I am building a similar set-up for my offroad trailer in a 1550, and a couple questions: Any issues with the hinges carrying the weight mounted in the lid after time? And second issue I'm concerned about in my build is the heat venting, so I spaced it out 1 1/2" to allow the unit to fully vent while it's running. Looks like you didn't, so any venting issues, plastic overheating? Anything you mighta done differently after using it awhile? Thanks in advance.

So no problem with hinges, or venting. It has worked flawless. The only thing I had to modify was the way I mounted the heater, over time the cheap mounting tabs broke after miles of wash bored. I had to actually mount the water heater using the external skin of the water heater.

Other than that no other problems

I'm still running my old school, can't remember the name (I think it's Helton ), but it's a small hot water heater that ties into your coolant line. I have a small DC pump with +/- clips to clip to my battery. I will carry two hoses, one to drop into fresh water and one to hook to the shower nozzle. You have unlimited hot water if you have an unlimited water source.

the only issue I've ever had with it, if you turn the water off, there is a slug of hot water that builds up in the system, so when you turn the water back on you need to wait for that slug of hot water to spray out otherwise it will burn the SHI$ out of you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom