1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hot water heaters - what's better - 1-50 gall or 2-40s?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by erics_bruisers, Aug 16, 2006.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

I am now in the question of what is better for gas hot water - 1-50 gall. heater or 2-40s?

My builder is encouraging the two, but like with any salesman, I am slow to trust -- !!

Ideas?

THANKS!

eric

2. -Spike-

-Spike-

2 40's sounds rediculous. I'm sure he gave you reasons- what were they? Gas or electric? Sounds like more money up front, more equipment to replace later. Would they both run all the time? I'd post this question on a plumber's forum.

Personally, I'm installing an on-demand whole-house gas heater. Unlimited hot water, and the high price is offset in about 5 years by the energy savings.

-Spike

3. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

they're gas --

-- the builder said there would be more available water on-hand, i an just leery of the running cost, etc --

-- and who needs a plumbers forum -- everyone knows everything there is to know here -- :D

JK --

thanks!

e

4. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    On demand is the way to go. Buy a 50 gallon otherwise. You are insane to heat 80 gallons for occasional use unless you are having a love-in party at your house every weekend.

With a fast recovery, even a 50 gallon heater will fill a whirlpool tub with no problems, especially if the tub has an inline heater to keep the temp up.

5. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

thanks for this, WS --

-- i don't know why these fawkers are always telling to get stuff i don't need -- :|

i'll call them tomorrow -- no more overages -- !!

:D

e

6. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

PS, WS -- my fawking knees hurt like the devil today from 25 hours on the JD322 in 3 days -- !!

7. -Spike-

-Spike-

Yes, gas is much faster, and moderately cheaper, so if those are your options take the 50. Why not one 80, if you had to have that kind of capacity? Also, if you get the 50 and need occasional extra hot water, just turn up the thermostat. Or get the on-demand if you can stomach the extra cost. Units go for around $1000, and the install is easier than a standard water heater- of course that won't be reflected in the builder's invoice, he'll charge you more by the sound of him. Another idea- get another builder.

-Spike

8. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

There are recirculating HW systems too.....they work great for high-demand purposes.

9. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Does that thing have foot pedals to control the bucket like a Bobcat? Get a Catertpillar and catch up with the big boys. We use excavator controls. :D

10. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

yup, it used hand levers for the tracks, and the left pedal was for the vertical, and the right was for the bucket swivel --

-- the worst moment was when i lifted the bucket too high, the weight distributed all to the front, and the little fawker tipped over, front-wise --

thank god for seatbelts -- i was hanging by mine -- :|

also, dirt gets stuck under the foot pedals quite often, jamming them -- i wisened up and brought the shop-vac out the second day -- :D

e

11. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Remember what I posted back in the day in the thread regarding faucets? You said that the installer would only install "plumber provided fixtures".

Buy your heater yourself, and have him install the thing. Otherwise, you'll pay extra for the unit. If he refuses, which he might, get a different installer or shop around and tell him that you expect to pay standard retail for the unit plus a reasonable delivery and haul away charge.

Heaters are not rocket science although they might have you believe as much. Just don't offend anyone as they might be the only guy available when you need an emergency service call in the middle of the night.

12. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

very cool -- i will shop them around and will call the builder tomorrow --

-- you're right, too, they're drop-in units --

-- i saved a good $3500 on the faucet suggestion, too -- :D

e

13. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a gas pedal, but can set the throttle using the hand lever. All other controls are implemented through the use of two hydraulic video game style hand controls. ;) Think jet fighter..... :D

14. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

I feel the need . . . . The NEED for EARTHMOVING!

15. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Tractors are cool. Installing water heaters is not cool. Trust me.... :D

16. jrfj40

jrfj40

I put in a tank less w/h in my parents house month or so ago it's the only way to roll.If I had not replaced mine the year before with a 50 gal. thats what i would have done looking back on it. why heat all that water? They are CAKE to put in and you can use the space saved for that beer fridge we all want.

17. firetruck41

firetruck41

Only question I have is, why do you need a hot water heater? Let me guess, you frequently use the ATM Machine, and have a cold water cooler?

18. jrfj40

jrfj40

I've often wondered that, Why would you want to heat HOT water?
    any way hear is a good link if you have water heater questions
    http://www.water-professor.com/

19. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Just to back up DD here...not that he needs it...

recirculating systems are the shizzznit!!! Instant hot water from your tank...no need to run the faucet for minutes waiting for the hot water to flow...

if you're not going with one of the on-demand systems, be sure to look into a recirculating system...I think you'll be glad you did.

20. FJ60Cam

FJ60Cam SILVER Star

I don't know the layout, or size of your house, but having two water heaters is pretty common around here. One might run the master bath, kitchen, laundry. One might run the other two or three baths. Then the water heater can be located closer to where it will be used, so you don't have to run the faucet for ten minutes to get hot water. It's not hi-tech, but it works.

Having said that, my house has a single 50 and I can run the washing machine, dishwasher and take (one) shower simultaneously with no problem.

Now that I sound like a water heater lobbyist - I would get a tankless that can put out enough hot water for your needs and go that route. I've only seen one install in these here parts, but was impressed. That's what I'll get when my tank craps out.