HOT Vegas Weekend Temp Results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought you guys might be interested in this with all the recent cooling system and A/C concerns: I took a trip from LA to Vegas from Thursday to Sunday. It was quite hot (temps reached 110+ on the way there and back) and I thought it was a good test of the cooling system.

Specs: '97 80 w/ relatively new OEM Aluminum radiator (new one installed last year under CPO warranty after old one got clogged due to mixing red/green coolant), new thermostat, original fan clutch, just did a coolant flush with Toyota Red before the trip, along with a bottle of Redline Water Wetter, which I use whenever I do a flush. Running Mobil 1 0W-40 oil and Mobil 1 in tranny/transfer/diffs. Filled up with mid-grade Chevron and a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner before the trip (which probably explains the relatively good mileage numbers in the next paragraph). I have a digital temp. guage installed which reads, on average, about 8F higher than the OBD-II temp. reading.

The truck was pretty well loaded with luggage and 3 people (myself included), and I had the A/C on the whole way. I got 14.94MPG on the first tank of gas, which included a lot of stop-and-go traffic from LA to Riverside (where I had to pickup my 2 passengers) during rush hour.

The highest temp I saw on my digital temp gauge for the entire trip was during a steady climb up an incline on the 15 freeway with RPMs in the 3000-3500 range for 3-5 minutes. My digital temp. gauge read 220F, which I would guess would be approx. 212F on the OBD-II. Of course, the regular dash temp gauge never moved beyond the halfway point. The A/C never cut out. I was seriously considering installing an aux. fan for the A/C (and I still might just for overkill) but the A/C not only stayed cold, but ICE-cold for the entire trip, including at stop lights in Henderson when the temps were 110F- I remember we were at a stoplight in Henderson where several gas station signs had temp readings of 110F, and I had to turn off the A/C because myself and the front passenger were too cold!

One thing I did notice was the fan clutch. When I stopped for gas on the way back, I noticed a vibration and a noise at idle that I thought was a problem. As it turns out, it was the fan spinning at a much faster rate due to the fan clutch engaging.

At any rate, I am now convinced that the 80's cooling and A/C systems are just fine as-is, as long as they are well maintained.

Last edited:
Great post! I'm heading out to Mesa, AZ from LA in a few weeks in my 97 lx450 and my family tells me it's 110F+ range. This week I did my rad flush and termo stat. I must say my AC i notice doesn't work all that well in anything over 100f+. But my 02 tacoma was the same. I was thinking I may need to flush the AC unit?
Thanks, Dan

Keeping the cooling system not just good condition but in premo condition is key to surviving the desert heat. People always overlook the fan clutch and it only takes about 20 minutes to change. I live out here in Mesa and have had my air shut off once this summer. I was stopped on I-17 North due to a car fire which inturn set the desert scrub on fire. It was about 5:30PM (typically the hottest part of the day) and about 115 degrees. It took about 30 to 40 minutes for my air to shut off. I figured that was pretty good. I am still considering the aux. fan for situations like this.

Great post - I'll second that. What temperature gauge are you usisng and where/how did you connect it? Now your gauge is confirmed working by your OBDII I'd like to follow (that's a nice word for copy) you.

BMT,

For your A/C to shutoff due to heat issues when the engine's simply idling means there's something not right about your cooling system. The engine's not working a bit, yet the temp rose. I'd take a close look at things.

DougM

You guys dont understand how hard Arizona heat is on ANY car. BMT problem is very common when traffic comes to a stop on the road. Consider 115 degree in the shade, 150 degree asphalt, and 2500btu/sq/ft from the sun.

Ouch. That btu calc sounds brutal.

DougM

I installed an oil temperature gauge in my Tacoma. Usually the oil temp is a consistent 190 degrees. However, I ran it hard this weekend and when I came to a LONG stoplight with the AC on full blast, I noticed that the Oil Temp rose to 215 degrees. However, my trusty Toyota water temp gauge did not move even so much as a millimeter!

I am REALLY frustrated with accuracy of the Toyota gauges. Does anyone know of an ACCURATE sending unit that can replace the OEM unit, but still be used with the OEM gauge? I cannot see installing ANOTHER water temp gauge because the OEM Toyota one doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom