Hot Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pacer

Keystone Cruiser
GOLD Star
Threads
Howdy all, I'm in the middle of a front axle rebuild on my 62 and have a cleaning question.

Is it acceptable to drop all of the knuckle parts: axles, hubs, spindles, bearings, nuts/bolts/studs, steering arms, the whole lot into a hot tank to clean them all up?

I have access to a "Hot Tank" and have been told NOT to put anything aluminum in there, but I am wondering if any of you know if this will affect bearing surfaces or if there are any coatings I need to worry about.

This just seems like an easy way to get everything degreased and ready for some paint and reassembly.

Let me know what-chall think.

BTW this is a real time question as I am off to the shop now to drop the parts in... guess I'll let ch'all know the results.

Day late/Dolla short and all that, but here goes.

I'd have no problem hot tanking a front axle. My engine blocks, heads, intakes all get hot tanked on a full rebuild. Thanks to the EPA, much of what makes up a hot tank these days is hot steam, FWIW. THe shop doing the work would be a logical source for your answer, too.

I would skip hot tanking the bearings. If they spun-up at all during the high pressure washing, they'd be done for, assuming they aren't already shot.

Thanks much for the reply WEC. Not much high pressure washing involved in the process I did. Just hung the parts on hooks and dipped them in a 200*f tank of mostly water and acid? let-em soak for three hours or so (it was recommended to let them sit over the weekend, but...) hosed them off, sprayed everything with a very tacky aerosol lubricant to prevent flash rusting and brought tem back to the garage all shiny and clean.

I was worried about the bronze/brass bushings on the spindles, and the plastic air ducts on the brake shields, but the machinist said it's no problem, just no aluminum.

Again I appreciate the go ahead. All went well.
:cheers:

Hmm, my engine rebuilder uses what amounts to a giant clam-shelled dish washer. Even sounds like one. The most EPA-friendly of processes. Your guy seems to be able to use an 'older' process.
Glad it went well.

Ah yes, the dish washer was right behind me, the tank I used is like the old radiator shops would use. Nasty film of grease and oil floating around in a big old toxic caldron. Worked tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom