Hot Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe I was there. It was a hot springs and was close to Childs power plant. Believe it was in 1972 but it was the seventies so can't say for sure. At that time could drive all the way to the Verde River. I know it was pre 74 and my first Land Cruiser so drove either my 62 Impala or 69 Opel GT. Remember my friend and his girlfriend were in a Datsun station wagon. Believe me and my girlfriend were in the Opel. That wouldn't make sense but neither would driving the Opel to Tramway Trail head on West Clear Creek. Have to remember it was the seventies.

I've been there a few times. You can drive to within a few hundred yards of it via dugas road. If the Verde is above 3k cfs on the gap Creek gauge, there likely won't be anyone there from the fossil Creek side. I managed to make that happen once. It's a very long bumpy ride in and out via dugas road or fr16 from bloody basin.

Anyone ever checked this place out?

I went decades ago, when I was in high school. A small army of aging naked hippies had run of the place--total pork and beans show. It smelled like Jamaica, and they took keen interest in others' nudity, especially young ones'. I get hot springs, and have been to hot springs all over the West, but this was creepy and the water was gross. Haven't been back.

Edit: And there was lots of gunfire in what was then a dispersed camping area on the other side of the Verde. It was a classic Arizona sh*t show.

Last edited:
we came by there numerous times while canoeing - the first time our canoe guide told us that he's not interested because "there's only fat people there"; and sure enough, two of them emerged right as we paddled by :lol:

we checked the springs out several times on later trips - it never looked inviting enough for us to drop in :meh:

at the times of year we canoed the Verde, we were usually much more interested in cooling off in the river itself :D

there is also a hot spring at Sheeps Bridge, right on the north bank of the river and accessed from the river side, if'n you know where to look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom