Hot Showers Heat Exchanger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys do you have any recommedations for a hot water system for my 80 series? I would like to be included in on Kurts Group Buy, but the system would not get here in time for my big trip (2 weeks from now). What system do you have and where did you buy it? I want plenty of hot water, and no I am mechanically challenged, no homemade jobs for me.
I will have someone else install it for me.
Thanks for your help....

Grouseman

The other pre-made, ready to install systems I looked at are all in the $400+ range with the exception of Kurt's deal...copper and labor must be a whole lot cheaper in the 'southland'. I actually was going to make my own...it is just a copper tube with a copper coil inside. I had two plumbers look for 3" or 4" for the external tube...for several months to no avail...this is just not a popular size (and one of them is a commercial plumber). To purchase a 'stick' of 4" would have been almost $700 for a 20' x 4" copper pipe...the minimum order anywhere around here. The rest of the parts can be had at Home Depot, etc.

The 'quick and dirty' (joke) solution is a 3 gallon poly pro bug sprayer... heat the water, fill, and shower. At yur local garden center.

M

Mike,

Thanks for input. Always enlightening thoughts. :)

Grouseman

yup, and if you paint the sprayer flat black and leave it in the sun, it will warm up by itself...

What about a Decker's Shower Unit? Anybody have one of those?

Grouseman said:
What about a Decker's Shower Unit? Anybody have one of those?

A buddy has had one for several years and works pretty good.

Having said that I went with a propane set up myself

spressomon said:
The other pre-made, ready to install systems I looked at are all in the $400+ range with the exception of Kurt's deal...copper and labor must be a whole lot cheaper in the 'southland'. I actually was going to make my own...it is just a copper tube with a copper coil inside. I had two plumbers look for 3" or 4" for the external tube...for several months to no avail...this is just not a popular size (and one of them is a commercial plumber). To purchase a 'stick' of 4" would have been almost $700 for a 20' x 4" copper pipe...the minimum order anywhere around here. The rest of the parts can be had at Home Depot, etc.

I have two feet of 2" copper tubing with end caps that I'll sell for $90.00. I bought it for more than that in hopes of making my own exchanger but gave up after issues with coiling the copper tubing. Copper is WAY expensivo! Let me know if you want it!

Mike S said:
The 'quick and dirty' (joke) solution is a 3 gallon poly pro bug sprayer... heat the water, fill, and shower. At yur local garden center.

M
Why would I shower at my local garden center?

Update,

I got a hold of Kurt, and may get in on the group buy.

Thanks
Grouseman

rusty_tlc said:
Why would I shower at my local garden center?

C'mon man! Just THINK about it.

M

snowcruiser said:
I have two feet of 2" copper tubing with end caps that I'll sell for $90.00. I bought it for more than that in hopes of making my own exchanger but gave up after issues with coiling the copper tubing. Copper is WAY expensivo! Let me know if you want it!

Thanks Snowcruiser...I already have ordered the Helton from Kurt. FYI: To get the small (1/4" or 3/8") soft copper tubing coiled you need to fill the tubing with fine salt...then cap the ends...then wrap in around a mandrel a little smaller diameter than the inside diameter of your larger tube. Then, of course, rinse all the salt out when done...

Up until when I get the Helton we have just been using a Cabelas/Sportsman's Warehouse camp shower enclosure that came with a 'D' cell pump, 5-gallon water reservoir...heat the water on the camp stove and shower away.

ooooooooooo...I just noticed I am an 'addict' now...boy do I have problems now :grinpimp:

Funny Mike brings up the sprayer - I have one of those metal canister sprayers from Zodi - along with the propane burner. You set the can on top heat the water in less than 10 min - pump pump pump - you are in a nice shower. The issue I have is carrying the can and all the stuff to make it work.

I am also in the group buy and look forward to the Helton installed heater/shower - i went for the heater which will go as high as the engine water. The other shower units ( like deckers) heat approx. 40 degrees hotter than the water fed to it.

spressomon said:
ooooooooooo...I just noticed I am an 'addict' now...boy do I have problems now :grinpimp:

This means you assume a number of responsilities...

1. You may never sell or trade a cruiser without Woody's permission

2. You have to go to Cruise Moab

3. You have to hang out with Junk... and his mama

I saw all this coming and dodged it by becoming a moderator.

M

Mike S said:
This means you assume a number of responsilities...

1. You may never sell or trade a cruiser without Woody's permission

2. You have to go to Cruise Moab

3. You have to hang out with Junk... and his mama

I saw all this coming and dodged it by becoming a moderator.

M

I will have to appeal all except #2 on your list to 'the committee'... :D

desertdude said:
Funny Mike brings up the sprayer - I have one of those metal canister sprayers from Zodi - along with the propane burner. You set the can on top heat the water in less than 10 min - pump pump pump - you are in a nice shower. The issue I have is carrying the can and all the stuff to make it work.

I am also in the group buy and look forward to the Helton installed heater/shower - i went for the heater which will go as high as the engine water. The other shower units ( like deckers) heat approx. 40 degrees hotter than the water fed to it.

I had a hard time deciding which unit to get...since my main (right now anyway) is showers I figured I could easily run the water through twice to get really cold water up to 90-100 degrees. It would only take a minute to cycle the water through. I wonder how, on the hot water heater model, they modulate the output water temp?

Sure, easy enough to do.

After talking with Kurt - the unit has a temp control and a few more hoses to hook up. How it works remains to be seen. I will take photos and write up a report during the install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom