Hot, hot, hot inside...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in Costa Rica and I'm a fj40 newbie. I've got a 1980 diesel. Seems to be in good mechanical and physical shape for the most part.

However, I'm experiencing one main problem:

It gets very hot in the cabin while driving. (Even though ambient temperature outside is 70 degrees). The engine temperature is fine.

I have two ideas. Please let me know if I'm on track, or way off base:

1. The interior needs new rubber flooring. I've got a company here that custom fabricates and installs to the exact fit. Will this prevent the head (which I'm assuming is coming in from the engine compartment or possibly from under the truck?) from heating up the cabin/driver's area? There's also a local Rhino-lining franchise. Would either of these help or hinder?

2. I seem to remember seeing some type of insulation blanket that would go in the firewall area, under the hood. But can't seem to find a link to any of the suppliers online. Is this something I can buy at a local auto supply store? Do you think it will help?

Thanks,
Rolex.

The best stuff comes from marine suppliers. but it has foam in it so use with caution if you hit lots of water or mud.
Put some in an old truck I had (engine between seats) - AMAZING difference.

Is the heater core getting hot? If your heater control valve is stuck open (like mine is) hot water is still being pumped through the heater core right next to your legs. Even without the fan turned on, it can heat the cabin up pretty quick.

second the water in the heater. You can close the valve manually, I think. If there is also quite some heat from the tranny, rubber mat alone will not do as much as a proper heat shield. In fact, I'll have one under the tranny hump plus the heat blanket inside the cabin.

where does your exhaust run, mine runs under driver and passenger and i heats up real nice

I have no mechanical bones in my body... but I'm pretty sure the exhaust runs out the back, behind the back doors.

I'll try to post pictures of the truck, in the next couple of days.

I'm gonna go now and see how much this rubber installation costs, and see if they have a lining they can put down under the rubber. Probably not going to help much (to me, rubber sounds HOT!) ... but what the hell. Every boy needs a good money pit, right? ;)

texasrolex said:
I... but I'm pretty sure the exhaust runs out the back, behind the back doors.

;)

ha ha good one, no i mean follow the exhaust pipe and see where it runs under your rig, i know mine is close to the floor boards, you could wrap your pipes and that might hepl a little, or take your doors and top off :cheers:

heat blanket can be ordered at any racing supplier, Jeg's, Summit, JC Whitney; they have different types, some list that they are fire resistant/retardant. I think I got a whole roll for under $30 at Summit.

Do check the heater issue, though. If that's the problem, reducing heating coming up through the floor boards isn't going to do much.

Or have you already narrowed it down to exhaust heat?

I have the heater problem too. I live in Houston where it is almost as hot as Hell itself and my heater cooks my feet. The heater knob is stuck open. :mad: I am going to have to find a solution soon or I just pass out.

Doors and top are coming off next week!

Billhide or rhino lining will help a little - but not much. Changing to ceramic headers also has helped out my heat problem.

spike6901 said:
The heater knob is stuck open. :mad: I am going to have to find a solution soon or I just pass out.

you're kidding right?

the valve is located right on the firewall(engine side).
pop the cable off it and close the valve

my cable has been messed up for as long as i can remember.
when i need heat i pop the hood and open the valve.
hvalve.JPG

Okay.. for the mechanically challenged... is there any way you can add some arrows to show where the valve is, and what direction to push/pull? ;) Is it the thing that looks like a large bolt, at the top left? (Hopeless, aren't I?)

Also-- when you guys are talking about a heater-- I was under the impression that my truck didn't have a heater. Is this possible, or did they all come with heaters? I definitely don't have an on/off knob on the dash.

(Yeah, yeah... I'm feeling VERY blonde right now!)

texasrolex said:
Okay.. for the mechanically challenged... is there any way you can add some arrows to show where the valve is, and what direction to push/pull? ;) Is it the thing that looks like a large bolt, at the top left? (Hopeless, aren't I?)

(Yeah, yeah... I'm feeling VERY blonde right now!)

the smiley is throwing me off.
are you talking s*** or being real?

Instead of trying to keep the heat out of the cabin, you should also try to keep the head out of the floor.

Here is what I mean by this. I had the same problem - and most of the heat came from the tranny/t-case.

Thus, I took off my tranny hump and but a layer of reflectix on it. That way the heat is reflected down and away so that it does not even get into the cab to begin with.

After that - cool as a cucumber.....

-ragman

Rolex,

The knob we're talking about is labeled "Warm Pull" The heater (that you have unless a previous owner ripped it out) is the big gray thing with vents below the middle of the dash.

Looks like this (from SOR)
heater.gif

Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

NO-- despite the smileys-- I wasn't talking s***. I'm seriuosly, seriously mechanically challenged. I just have a hard time "seeing things" mechanically-- even when they're right in front of me.

(Although I was laughing out loud at how silly my lack of knowledge sounded, once you pointed it out. )

But I love these trucks. I really do. So, eventually, I'll probably break down and start learning some basics. Owning a landcruiser is like owning a piece of history.

Thanks for your patience.

- Adam.

My valve was letting hot water into the heater core. My cable was fine, but the valve itself was broken. I by-passed the entire heater while waiting on a replacement valve . . . four years ago. It's still by-passed, but then it never gets cold where I live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom