Hot Dawg (Modine) garage heater... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
alright...installed a 75k BTU garage heater, got the plumbing done this weekend...and no dice. I hate to call in someone that knows what they are doing, so here are the facts/symptoms...

100 gallon propane tank, 1/2" black pipe to unit. Tank is full, volume and pressure are (or should be) just fine - I "opened" up the connection orifice at the tank for flow.

Power to the unit is fine, as is the thermostat. It kicks on the exhaust fan, the valve control clicks, the heating element glows, then it kicks off...then the back fan fires, and it sequences thru the cycle 3 more times...

exactlee as the book states is should....I installed the conversion kit per instructions. Yes, the internal switch is set to on, and yes the green light operates as it should for the 4 cycles...then going to lockout mode wiht 6 blinks.

...and I have no heat.

Any thoughts on where to start? Knowing me, I missed something dumb, and hate to pay someone $100 to stop in and fix it with one tweak...

I just asked my neighbor who works for the local propane company and he asked how long the line from the tank to the heater is. Claims it takes a lo...o...o...o...ng time for the air to purge from the line.

that was the comment last night from a buddy too....said to purge, purge, purge, and purge some more...uugh

line length from tank to heater is just under 20'...1/2 black...not terribly long, but enuf

So do you have heat????

nope....opened things at the heater, "flushed" the propane lines until I damn near passed out....aired out the now-stinky garage...

and nuthin....

out of town for 3 days....will look at in the morning....but not for long...have lots of Cruiser projects that need doing. Enuf welding and torch work and the shop will be hot anyways...hehehe

amazing what reading the directions will do...

according to the propane conversion information, it needs to be regulated down to between 11 and 14 inches of water column....about 1/2 psi...in short, a grill regulator.

Guess what I don't have installed...hopefully this stupid misstep is the cure!!

What size propane cylinder do you have running this, and who is your gas supply house or Co-op? This is something that should have been left with you when they dropped off the tank!!!

Unregulated propane filling the shop....Hmmm...sounds like an insurance claim waiting to happen.

Good luck!

-Steve

#100 "portable", main house is nat gas, and it's too cold to dig a line...hehehe

don't worry, it's been shut off at the tank....I'm not THAT nuts

...and it WORKS!!! Sure was nice in the shop last night, t-shirt weather while it's 10 degrees outside.

Apparrently, the heater required the low-pressure input for the gas...guess they didn't plan on someone running it off a "portable"-type tank!

you're running that off a portable tank? How big, one of those 20 lb tanks? If so, how long will it last (yes, I realize it's a guess at this point). I need some frickin heat out there.

100# "portable" but no reason it wouldn't work off a 20#'er as well. The 100# tank was $55 to fill, and the tanks are like $75.

It works awesome.

The 100# tank I have I got from the propane company on an exchange deal it cost about $3 more to fill but they exchange it every time so I don't have to worry about the inspection costs every 5 years.

[quote author=woody link=board=14;threadid=9115;start=msg86782#msg86782 date=1073572376]
100# "portable" but no reason it wouldn't work off a 20#'er as well. The 100# tank was $55 to fill, and the tanks are like $75.

It works awesome.
[/quote]

Any idea how long you expect it to last? Safe around combustable crap?

couldn't guess on the longevity...but honestly, I'd be surprised if it emptied before the end of the heat season.

The unit mounts 16" from the back wall, 1" from the ceiling...externally fan vented, with forced-fan heat as well. No fumes, runs pretty quiet, and I have plenty of fuel/oil cans in the garage with no worries.

http://hot-dawg.modine.com/

surprised you don't have one...looks like your illegitimate kids are the spokesmodels!

Newhotda.jpg

[quote author=woody link=board=14;threadid=9115;start=msg86979#msg86979 date=1073593333]
surprised you don't have one...looks like your illegitimate kids are the spokesmodels![/quote]

Thanks for the info. BTW though, that's my wife not my offspring. :flipoff2:

I have a 500 Gal propane tank outside my shop, there is a regulator mounted outside, that was provided by the gas company. Assumed you knew the whole water coulumn thing, and needing a regulator..

Sorry Brian.

-Steve

FYI-Regulators need atmospheric pressure in order to work properly. If they get covered in ice, you will not get gas to flow...hehehe...

[quote author=Poser link=board=14;threadid=9115;start=msg87191#msg87191 date=1073615353] Ass-u-me-d you knew the whole water coulumn thing...
[/quote]

see...that'll learn ya.....:flipoff2:

FYI-Regulators need atmospheric pressure in order to work properly. If they get covered in ice, you will not get gas to flow...hehehe...

the tank is located inside the garage, about 15' from the heater...if it snows inside there, I've got more issues than just gas flow...lol

Daddy used to say
"If at first you don't succeed read the instructions"
I prefer
"If at first you don't succeed get a bigger hammer"
but
"...get another beverage" works too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom