Hot Center Console....anyone else have this issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We were on a 300 mile road trip last night driving thru the dessert in CA. My wife took her bottled water out of the square "cup holder" in the center console and it had become very warm. I put my hand in the cup holder and it was extremely hot to the touch. Then I reached in and touched the metal screw that holds it in place and it was even hotter. I'm talking hot enough to burn you. Anyone else notice this or have any ideas what could cause this.

As always, thanks in advance for your input.

BTW had 2 great trail runs outside of Mammoth Mtn. Laurel Lakes and Sand Canyon/Wheeler Ridge. If anyone is ever in the area let me know.

Re: Hot Center Console....anyone else have this is

You did not mention what year your vehicle is. I assume that you are refering to the opening in between the console lid and the shifter? If so, my 93 gets nice and toasty there in warm weather. There should be a little "rug" in the bottom of it to cover the screw. Yours may be missing.

It's not the best place for cold drinks. Coffee stays nice and warm though. ::)

Dan.

From memory, the console is mounted to metal brackets, which in turn are directly mounted to the metal floor pan. The floorpan gets heated up by engine, exhaust pipes, transmission. On a hot sunny day in the desert the road itself gets really hot and radiates heat up in to the truck. This extra heat makes it that much harder for your radiator and fan to shed engine & tranmission heat, and also likely results in the engine and tranny running hotter than usual, and this increase in heat is also transferred to the floor pan.

On a previous full size truck I had engine oil and transmission fluid temperature gauges (also had an engine oil cooler and 2 tranmission fluid coolers). I would see a 20 - 30 degree increase in fluid temperatures when driving on a hot (90 + degrees) sunny day compared to the fluid temperatures I would see when driving in similar air temps at night.

If you didn't have carpet & padding your feet would get hot too!

I forgot. It's a 96 with 130000 miles. Guess we will keep coffee there instead of water.

OK Dan, we all want to know,what is the p/n for the little rug "thingy"? mine is missing as well......

doug

GREY, 58916-60010-03 LIST $1.97

TAN, 58916-60010-E0 LIST $4.23

And no, I don't know why the tan one is so much more than the grey one. It might be because the Wulf has a tan interior ::) .

Dan you made those up. Be honest, if we order you are going to cut up some shag carpet out of your old charger rear window shelf aren't you.

I have my carpet insert or I would order one just to freak out my local dealer!

Oh and yes my console gets hot as a <> too.

Simon,
It's a

C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E-R R/T S/E

Oh, how's yer 4runner? 8)

BTW, I DID NOT make those numbers up :p

Dan, what's the part number for the sealant to keep it down? and the jute under it

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

.... and no, I'm not serious. :flipoff2:

Junk, Junk,

What's a mother to do with you? ::)

It is not glued down, nor does it have a bit of jute under it. (You thought you had me there, didn't you?) 8)

>> It might be because the Wulf has a tan interior <<

And curiously, mine is missing the little tan carpet thingy.  That's where I keep all my losing lottery tickets. Over $200,000,000.00 tonight.  Wouldn't it be nice?  Wish me luck guys!   :D

-B-

C-Dan,
I need a tan one also !! :mad:
Twice as much?? ??? :eek:

OK everybody, you watch.

The Wulf is gonna hit the big one and then stop by to get the $4.23 rug. Then, he's gonna brow-beat me into selling it to him for $3.17 ::)

I wonder what he's gonna do with the dollar-six?

If I hit the big one, the $1.06 will go as a down payment for one of those spiffy new TRD SuperChargers.
-B-

is it an oem rug or aftermarket replacement? :eek:

Just to get back to the hot centre console question.. Silvercruiser said he was driving at night. Now I can't say I know much about deserts but surely they cool down at night? My centre console may be warm (on a hot day) but is certainly never hot enough to burn me.

Jim

Jim,

Are you the same Jim that used his airconditioner ONCE last year?

There's your difference.

Dan.

Jim,
You are correct it was at night with temps in the 90's. We had been driving consistently at 70-75mph for a good 4 hours. There were some steep grades in 2nd gear doing about 50mph but most of the time it is flat, straight hwy. Oh yeah, there was also a consistent headwind of at least 15mph.

I will be making the same trip next week and pay more attention to the details.

BTW thanks for the input. I have 2 other cars and regularly read those forums. This forum is by far the most valuable while at the same time being the funniest, with no egos.

C-Dan I'll correct B-wulf for you. Wulf-man surely you mean a SuperC-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E-R :D

Jim a major difference with running at night in the desert is the increased chance of seeing a R-O-A-D-R-U-N-N-E-R.

Semlin (who finds the Mopar world challenging and never did figure out the difference between a Duster and a Scamp)

Simon, you know what they say: "MOPAR or no car" :D

I wouldn't mind a Max Wedge in the old garage, next to the R/T. 8)

There is something erotic about acid-dipped fenders and doors I guess. ::)

The temperature around here for the last few days makes a heater-delete car sound pretty good. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom