Hot Center Console....anyone else have this issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We were on a 300 mile road trip last night driving thru the dessert in CA. My wife took her bottled water out of the square "cup holder" in the center console and it had become very warm. I put my hand in the cup holder and it was extremely hot to the touch. Then I reached in and touched the metal screw that holds it in place and it was even hotter. I'm talking hot enough to burn you. Anyone else notice this or have any ideas what could cause this.

As always, thanks in advance for your input.

BTW had 2 great trail runs outside of Mammoth Mtn. Laurel Lakes and Sand Canyon/Wheeler Ridge. If anyone is ever in the area let me know.

My 1996 FZJ80 does the same thing; very hot around the console,
most apparent on the passenger's side.

Does anyone know for sure if there is constant circulation of radiator fluid through the heater under the console??

ie: the switch for the rear heater motor just turns the fan on,
but is there hot anti-freeze circulating through it all the time??
It sure seems to me that that is the culprit.

In the 80, you can have the AC on full cold, which shuts off hot
anti-freeze from going through the dash heater core,
but at the same time you can turn the rear heater blower
on full blast.

My FJ-62 has a separate lever on the back of the console to shut off the flow of hot anti-freeze through the heater core; not on the
FZJ-80
It sure seems like that is what is causing the hot condition
under the seats and console.

g

Mine is a 1994 and it gets very hot. Has anyone tried to put some heat resistant material in that area to cut down on the heat?
x 2. Interested as well. (But didn't this thread get out of hand a while ago? ;p)

I just got a new job as a gravedigger and im bringing this post back from the dead. New owner of a '93 LC, first two hr trip and the center little holder is scorching hot as well as the flat area around the shifters. I guess i could just use is as a griddle and cook eggs and bacon and snausage on the way to work and keep my coerfee hot but as im getting a little older im trying to cut down on excess calories... Pshh yeah right. Anyhow I've still got the little og grey carpet in there but has anyone made any progress in keeping this area a little cooler, ie heat deflection or blocking of heater lines or just better shielding of whatever is causing it??? And also what the heck is causing it and should i be looking at this as a sign of a possible issue somewhere???

Thanks guys
Jer

x 2. Interested as well. (But didn't this thread get out of hand a while ago? ;p)

I installed some heat matting due to the same issue. Its still freakin hot. Not sure what else to do. Passengers usually point it out on long travels.

I put sound/heat deadener stuff I got on Amazon under mine and a nylon bolt to hold the console down. Sounded great on paper, but it still gets warm. Not nearly as warm as stock, but warmer than I think it should.

The heat comes mostly from the engine, exhaust, and cats but some can come from the rear heater, so good to check that the heater valve cable is properly adjusted. Otherwise even if the HVAC temp selector lever is set to cold some hot coolant can circulate down the rear heater pipes (located on the right side of the transmission tunnel) and into the rear heater core under. A test is to disconnect the control cable from the heater valve on the firewall and check to see if the lever moves a bit more before it's closed, tnen drive around a day to see if things are cooler. The floor directly under the rear heater core gets very warm due to the cats but it can get even warmer if hot coolant is flowing through the rear heater from a heater valve that is cracked open. Checking the temp of the transmission hump under the center console (both sections of the console removed) I got readings of ~130' F on day when outside temps were 90' F, 140' F under the rear heater (heat off). The entire right side of the vehicle above the exhaust system (FZJ-80) runs 10-30 degrees hotter than the left. Another thing IME that might make the console area hotter is if either rubber boot for the transfer case shift lever or the auto shifter linkage is cracked. That could allow hot air to flow into that area. FWIW.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom