Hot A/C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time reader, first time poster. I'm having fits with my A/C. The compressor was just replaced, and I cleaned a bird's nest worth of crap out of the fan and evaporator areas, but while running down the highway the A/C stops blowing cold. At idle cabin temps drop to 40 ish, but as soon as i get up to speed the air coming from the vents warms up rapidly, sometimes even "smoking" from the vents. Any help is appreciated.

Tony

I would say to check you expansion valve it could be plugged and as the pressure climbs the high side heats up, does the engine temp rise as well?

benw4x4,

sorry for the delay in response as I have been awful busy, work... however, you have hit the nail on the head with the question about temps rising as well. that is what is happening alright and from reading other posts i ordered an expansion valve for s.o.r. when i get a spare afternoon i'll give the expansion valve a go. after a hopefully successful valve-ectomy i'll post the results. fortunatly there's plenty of summer left in florida to test whether it works or not. thanks for the input.

today was the day. took the morning off and yanked the evaporator assy. lo-n-behold the expansion valve was slammed full of tiny, what looked to be, beads. has anyone else seen that? i blew out the lines, put in the expansion valve and viola a/c for all speeds. thanks to benw4x4 and swank.

tony

Tiny beads sounds like the sack holding the desiccant in your drier has ruptured and allowed this stuff to circulate. Probably is what originally caused the compresser to go out. I hope you replaced the drier with the compressor replacement and have eliminated the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom