hose replacement for steel trans lines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to repair a leak in my trans line and wonder if anybody have any opinions/objections on the use of a hose instead of steel trans lines. The portion of the splice will be less than 6 inches and I think the pressure and the rubbery surface should be ok. thanks for your opinion.88 fj62 w 201k

If they are leaking because of rust then you should replace the entire system of lines. I replaced mine with custom made rubber hydraulic tubing. It's not a super high pressure system, but I wouldn't rely on hose clamps, although when mine was leaking I patched it by covering the hole with a rubber hose and clamping it right over the hole. It held without leaking for the 400 mile drive home and then for a few weeks until I replaced the lines.

Just find a hydraulic or tubing shop and they can make the lines for you and you can bolt it right up.

Don't bother replacing the system with OEM hard lines. The Toyota dealer parts price adds up to about $1900! My custom flexible lines were about $150.

I have been toying with the idea of changing over from the hard lines to hoses for the entire length of my tansmission cooler lines in my FJ40. My hard lines are very exposed and the last 18 inches are hoses, anyways. I was considering running the hoses inside of the frame rails to protect them, along with my fuel lines. I currently have a transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

1. If I avoid exhaust heat and abrassion to the lines and get pressure fittings for a good fit is there any other concerns about hoses over hard lines?

2. Is there any better location for the cooler, or better style cooler?

I have been toying with the idea of changing over from the hard lines to hoses for the entire length of my tansmission cooler lines in my FJ40. My hard lines are very exposed and the last 18 inches are hoses, anyways. I was considering running the hoses inside of the frame rails to protect them, along with my fuel lines. I currently have a transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

1. If I avoid exhaust heat and abrassion to the lines and get pressure fittings for a good fit is there any other concerns about hoses over hard lines?

2. Is there any better location for the cooler, or better style cooler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom