Hose melting hood insulation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for the noob post, but on my new to me FJ80 it looks like a hose (possibly the PCV) I getting hot and melting some of the hood insulation. The insulation is sagging a little bit, but I more wanted to identify the hose and make sure that it should be getting hot enough to burn some of the insulation.
IMG_0066.jpg

That hose is the valve cover ventilation hose (12262-66021). It allows fresh air from the throttle body to be drawn into the engine. I don't remember that ever getting hot. Maybe it is just vibrating off your hood insulation rather than melting it.

By the way I suggest you check the heater valve on the firewall. From the photo yours looks very discolured which is an early sign of failure.
You mean the heater control valve? Is there anything else that I should tackle when I'm doing that? Looks like I'd need to drain the coolant anyways.

You mean the heater control valve? Is there anything else that I should tackle when I'm doing that? Looks like I'd need to drain the coolant anyways.
Yep. you won't be draining the coolant system to change out that valve. Its probably the highest point in the whole system so at worst you might lose a pint or so. Worth checking the condition of the coolant hoses. The only other thing I spot from your photo is the accelerator cable should be routed behind the lip on the air intake tube. :)

Yep. you won't be draining the coolant system to change out that valve. Its probably the highest point in the whole system so at worst you might lose a pint or so. Worth checking the condition of the coolant hoses. The only other thing I spot from your photo is the accelerator cable should be routed behind the lip on the air intake tube. :)
Thanks!

Check the radiator to see if it is also turning brown like the heater valve. While we're playing picture Cruiser trivia, the right side hose on your heater valve is factory installed, the left side has been replaced. Check the pesky heater hose, but it may have been replaced at some point. Oh, and before some of the really snarky old timers get here, that's a later 1FZ-FE, so you have an FZJ80 (not an FJ80).. :cool:

Abd welcome to the obsession !

Jason

Check the radiator to see if it is also turning brown like the heater valve. While we're playing picture Cruiser trivia, the right side hose on your heater valve is factory installed, the left side has been replaced. Check the pesky heater hose, but it may have been replaced at some point. Oh, and before some of the really snarky old timers get here, that's a later 1FZ-FE, so you have an FZJ80 (not an FJ80).. :cool:

Abd welcome to the obsession !

Jason
Thanks for the heads up.

I'd like to keep the rear heater setup for the back seat passengers. Is there anything else I should do to make sure it doesn't leak (besides replacing it)?

Sorry for the noob post, but on my new to me FJ80 it looks like a hose (possibly the PCV) I getting hot and melting some of the hood insulation. The insulation is sagging a little bit, but I more wanted to identify the hose and make sure that it should be getting hot enough to burn some of the insulation. View attachment 2870797
The entire firewall array of hoses need to be replaced imo

The entire firewall array of hoses need to be replaced imo

I just ordered the hoses for the heater valve. I plan on starting there. Eventually, I'd like to use flexible hose for the rear heater and replace some of the non oem hose with oem.

Gates Green Stripe is the hose usually recommended around here. I only used Toyota OEM for the formed radiator hoses, and the transmission cooler hose (it's got a 90 degree bend and plain hose works but gets awfully close to the belts).

Just in case you misunderstood, you need to replace the heater valve itself. Once they become yellowed, it's a ticking bomb. In fact, they often crumble when people try to replace the hoses.

As for other things, you should plan on replacing all of the rubber hoses. Coolant hoses, transmission fluid lines, and all of the vacuum hoses. A split coolant hose is a great way to overheat the engine and blow a head gasket, and leaking vacuum hoses cause all kinds of weird running issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom