hose clamp sources (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

acy76

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all--I have been fighting coolant leaks on my 1979 FJ40 this past month and am fed up.

Worm gear clamps back off, crack and rust(!?), what are you all using instead? OE style? Non-worm band clamps?

Interested in opinions, I don't care if it's OE or not, looking for good value for my dollar and long-term reliability. Sources for parts appreciated, if someone is selling kits that would be of potential interest too.

Thanks.

Hi all--I have been fighting coolant leaks on my 1979 FJ40 this past month and am fed up.

Worm gear clamps back off, crack and rust(!?), what are you all using instead? OE style? Non-worm band clamps?

Interested in opinions, I don't care if it's OE or not, looking for good value for my dollar and long-term reliability. Sources for parts appreciated, if someone is selling kits that would be of potential interest too.

Thanks.
You can probably find them all available OE style from Toyota. If you search here you can probably track down sized and part #s. I think @GA Architect has shared a lot of good info on the topic.

Another option for OE style but in stainless is from City Racer:

Prep work is as important as the clamps themselves. If you're fighting leaks, be sure that your mating surfaces are nice and round, and not overly pitted or rusted. You might need to replace a thermostat housing or heater coupling if that's the case. Hoses should be in new or nearly-new shape. OEM hoses are significantly thicker than common Gates/Napa aftermarket. The extra thickness is really good at forming to any irregularities in the mating surfaces. I also am a big fan of Sil Glyde as it helps to make a durable seal but is non-drying. Some folks have good results from a drying-type glue like Indian Head, but my personal preference is Sil Glyde. I'm running all City Racer clamps presently. They are really good and I've never had a joint leak when a City Racer clamp is on. They seem to work best with thicker OEM hoses. I was afraid that the stainless threads would gall easily, but after 5 years of daily driving on them, they have held up really well. On the flip side, for an inexpensive solution, I've honestly had decent service life and longevity over the years from the stainless Napa hose clamps. Folks like to poo poo them, but i've never had one catastrophically fail or even break. They are not OEM, and they don't look awesome in your engine bay, but they are a lot better than being stranded with leaking coolant and are super easy to have in your tool bag.

Great tips, thanks much.

The cooling system is all new or renewed, and I agree on OE hoses being superior but the ones I have are new enough that I’ll keep them a while yet.

It’s really an amazingly stupid problem, as it’s been strictly clamp failure this time around (after I had everything apart to rebuild the entire top end of the 2F after p.o. neglect and a blown head gasket).

City Racer! Why am I not surprised ;) he’s always got things I want.

Kit looks great and I will be ordering one today.

OEM clamps are the best value, IMHO.

1663437866025.jpeg

oem clamp vote here

I like the look of the OEM 2 wire clamp. They just look right under the hood. @GA Architect did a great job of researching and posting stainless constant tension alternative. I followed his lead: and went with ½" Solid Band Scandvik SS Hose Clamps (www.fisheriessupply.com)(# 382003, 382005, 382001, and 382009 (I ordered 8 size 10's, 4 size 20's, 4 size 24 and 10 size 28's

▸ Size 10; 3/4" - 1-1/8" (x8)
▸ Size 20; 1-1/4" - 1-3/4" (x4)
▸ Size 24; 1-1/2" - 2" (x4)
▸ Size 28; 1-1/4" - 2-1/4" (x10)

Interesting information here:

I like the look of the OEM 2 wire clamp. They just look right under the hood. @GA Architect did a great job of researching and posting stainless constant tension alternative. I followed his lead: and went with ½" Solid Band Scandvik SS Hose Clamps (www.fisheriessupply.com)(# 382003, 382005, 382001, and 382009 (I ordered 8 size 10's, 4 size 20's, 4 size 24 and 10 size 28's

▸ Size 10; 3/4" - 1-1/8" (x8)
▸ Size 20; 1-1/4" - 1-3/4" (x4)
▸ Size 24; 1-1/2" - 2" (x4)
▸ Size 28; 1-1/4" - 2-1/4" (x10)

Interesting information here:

That Project Farm channel is a great rabbit hole to fall down into...

For the wire clamps I believe @ToyotaMatt offers some if not all sizes in yellow zinc. He sent me some professional samples of several smaller clamps a while back that I never followed up on, so I just don’t know if he has the big radiator sized ones. Hth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom