1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horsepower

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by fzj, Feb 15, 2004.

1. fzj

fzj

How much horsepower can you get from a fzj80 within in of course a reasonable budget, I know the supercharger adds a good chunk, what else can be done and how much can one realisticly expect from the mods. i.e. exhaust, computer chip, air filter, snorkle etc.

2. landtoy80

landtoy80

Welcome to the MUD fzj.
    You have one problem with your question. You said reasonable budget and fzj80. They don't go together :D

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    There are two ways to noticably increase the output of a 1FZFE engine. One can select some means of forced induction or the engine can be overbored and the cylinder head and manifolds can be "matched".

Out of the box this powerplant is pretty much optimized. modifications short of force-feeding additional air or significantly tweaking the reciprocating assembly are a waste of time and money.

4. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Well, I am not aware of what a reasonable budget is but the 1FZFE can produce over 350 HP with a turbo and a high performance exhaust system alone. With the supercharger probably 300 to 315 HP??? With the sort of stuff that performance products sells ( plugs, plug wires, ignition etc. ) you can probably add 15 to 30 horse relatively cheaply. HTH

5. cruiserdan

I respectfully disagree with the asertion that ignition modifications will add power. The OEM secondary ignition components are difficult to improve upon.

Feed the 1FZ more air and address fuel delivery to suit and enjoy the ride.

6. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    Dan, I totally disagree. With a reasonable budget you can get six or seven hundred horespower easily. Just look at this guy.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?src=suggestions&A=0950

Seriously FZJ, most agree that a supercharger or home made turbo are the only relatively easy options (I believe no one makes an aftermarket turbo anymore) although both are pricey and, based on Sleeoffroad.com's experience can overload a worn 1fz. Boring it out is another way.

There are posts here discussing all of the other mods you mention. They all might work, but I have yet to hear from anyone who has made a significant impact with any of them. I have a K&N air filter and it does not seem to make much difference, plus it is arguably not as good a filter.

7. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=11560;start=msg105355#msg105355 date=1076893168]
    I respectfully disagree with the asertion that ignition modifications will add power. The OEM secondary ignition components are difficult to improve upon.

Feed the 1FZ more air and address fuel delivery to suit and enjoy the ride.
    [/quote]

Okay, Cruiserdan, I would willingly take your word over the flashy advertising in performance products anyday so if the ignition is not the way to get more power, what is involved with getting more power from the fuel delivery system? I'm thinking injectors but I'm not sure. If it is injectors, who makes them, where can someone get them? If it is things other than injectors, please share! Also, are you saying that the aftermarket ignition upgrades produce no more horsepower or just that they are less reliable, more trouble; I'd really like to learn more about all of this and you are known as an authority so speak and the student shall listen!

8. xl715

xl715

Speaking of more power, is the block in an 80 the same as in a late modle Supra? I know the heads would be different, but if the block is the same couldn't you find a wrecked twin turbo supra and steal the head, turbos and computer? If this would work you would end up with one heck of base to build from I've seen numerous twin turbo supras pushing 1000hp!!
    Just a thought i've had for a while.

9. amt

amt

No, the Supra and the LC are not the same block (I have both). The LC motor is much longer to accomidate the much larger bore. I doubt the stock head is a problem anyway. If you wanted a non-super/turbo charged option, the only things left are cams and headwork or N2O. I would not recommend either, as different cams will kill your low end power and the shock of instant 100+ lsb/ft of N2O torque could do some damage somewhere. I suppose the engine could be bored & stroked, but jeeze, it's 4.5 liters already! I'm not sure how much more you could get out of it (anyone know?).

IMO, turbo is the way to go. That's what I am planning. I honestly don't know when I'll get to do it, but I think the stock exhaust manifold could be used, a custom 2 into 1 turbo collector, a T3/T4 hybrid or maybe a small T4 turbo, medium intercooler and water injection would make 350HP easily. For more power I persoanlly first look into adapting AEM's fully programmablr ECU for the Supra, lowering the compresion to 8.5:1, and upgrading the fuel system (pumps, maybe injectors).

10. cruiserdan

THE BLOCK IS NOT EVEN CLOSE. In addition, there is only one head. :rolleyes:

The 1FZ is many things but it is NOT a Supra motor. It is totally different and in addition it has a 50% greater dispalcement.
    It is evident that the secret to extracting optimum power from the 1FZ relates to providing more fuel along with more air.

It appears that "tuning" the injectors along with the addition of a "rising rate" fuel pressure regulator and replacing the OEM fuel pump with a pump similar to an OEM Twin turbo Supra fuel pump fullfills this requirement. Experience indicates that similar results can be obtained by water/Methanol injection. All of the above assumes that the engine has forced induction.

11. landtoy80

landtoy80

Do the non-USA 1FZ motors have the same ignition system?
    What about the rest of the motor?
    I know the AU 1FZ doesn't have the EGR, what else is different?

12. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Hi Dan, wanted to ask about the rising rate regulator you mentioned here moons ago. Is this a toyota part number? If it is a toyota part, is it off the supra and something that specifically matches that supra fuel pump? If it is not a toyota part, is there a particular make or model you recommend? Also if it is not a toyota part, would you know the proper ratio to look for? In other words instead of the 1:1 that the stock regulator runs, is it 2:1, 1.5:1, something else??? Thanks man.

13. PKP80

PKP80

AHH, so that's where all the money we spend on GAS goes to, Mohammad's 80.
    Don't feel so bad paying $2.50/gal anymore... :flipoff2:

14. elmariachi

elmariachi

Based on my direct experience with all of these products, only the supercharger is worthy of being called a measureable "gain". The Borla, K&N and Jet ignition stuff are just tinker toys and amount to nothing noticeable from the driver's seat (other than a lightening of your wallet). If that's not enough, I'd get a V-8 before trying to build something more out the 1FZ. Just my .02c worth.

Jim

15. clownmidget

clownmidget

Quest for horsepower

FZJ - I agree with the general point here that the engine is pretty well set up the way it is. The problem is that the truck weighs a lot since it is so well built and every piece of equipment you add generally adds weight too. So your real problem is power to weight ratio going in the wrong direction. But I'd also say that this ends up being similar to owning a 40 or 60 with the 2F. They might not be screaming down the highway but they are really dependbale, serviceable and do just fine on the trail. So I really doubt anyone complains about the 80 being underpowered on the trail even with their weight in excess of 6200 lbs and the motor bone stock. Gearing may help too.

The s/c is bar far the easiest mod to add substantial power though. You can buy one easily and bolt it on over the course of a weekend with no sweat. Like others you might experience pinging most likely caused by high end lean. Do a search on the s/c and you'll see that most folks add a water/methanol injector to deal with this. You can also plumb in an additional fuel injector as TRD did for their other s/c systems. I know at least one person on this list also added a UniChip piggy-back style ECU. That will likely be easier and better than putting in larger injectors. If you want larger injectors these are readily available too (http://www.rceng.com/). These guys will clean and recalibrate your injectors too which is advisable if adding a s/c. You can add a higher output fuel pump and most seem to feel that the Supra TT one is a very good option. You can also use a Walbro one. You can also add a rising rate fuel regulator to help ( http://www.bellengineering.net/Pages/products_FPR.html). This is what I have and you can search BEGI's site for more info about their fxn. I've had my truck stock, with a s/c and a turbo so that's what my impressions are based on.

Good luck and welcome.

Mike R.

16. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

There is plenty of power to be had... one will need to force it in via SC or turbo, although a nice port and polish will work wonders on just about any engine. Overbore to 4.6L and there will be more.

I think an unaddresed bottle kneck in the exhaust is the down pipes/aka manifold to converter pipes. Spring is springing around new england, so watch for some build up info and pictures on my hi-po 1FZ build up.

17. sc40

sc40

drop in a 350, for the cost of rebuilding the 1fz (so it will handle the turbo ect) and adding proformance mods, you can add a 350 with probally 400hp

18. robbie

robbie Guest

If you do not do your own work then a 350 will not save you that much over a rebuilt 1FZ. It is high dollars if a shop does it for you.
    RC engeering will not recalibrate a toyota injector(they say they can not), they will sell you a Lucas or bosch as a replacement that you would have to splice in to the wiring harness if you want more flow. The hard thing about more flow at high output is the idle issue and having too much flow at idle. It is a good experment for some one to try.
    the rising rate pressure regulator is one that is aftermarket, usually set up with different specs for different applications. As for what we at the shop use is about 10 or 12 to one. Meaning for every pound of boost you get 10 or 12 psi increase of fuel pressure in the rail. So if you have a 10 to one and have 7 psi of max boost you will invcrease the fuel pressure in the rail to 43 to 70 Psi. At 43 psi the injectors will handle 350 HP (according to RC eng, I have not seen what they will handle at 70 psi).
    Fuel pumps the Walbro is noisey, but handles the load just fine. The supra pump is quite and will handle the load as well.
    building power is expensive in a Landcruiser engine, be it a 60, 80 or 100 series. So look at what it is you want to spend and go from there. \
    As you build power other things need attentions as well, Like the price of fuel and how fast the engine uses it when delevolping upon demand. Tranny need attention, older parts in the drive train need attention, it is a slippery slope once you start. later robbie

19. wb1948

wb1948

Who wants a chevy engine in their Land Cruiser anyways?

Well lots of people probably, but I rather maintain the "Toyota Integrity" of the Land Cruiser personally. If cost was the same or even if the 350 was less expensive, I still rather keep it yota. Idealistic I guess.

Back to the topic, "You can buy one easily and bolt it on over the course of a weekend with no sweat." For who exactly? Please elaborate. For a mechanic or someone with lots of experience it would be easy, but what about your "normal" mud member. If normal is even the correct term, I would define it as someone that does all their own suspension work, axle work, servicing, and audio? What about for that person?