Horse Power Vs Tire size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kirkade

SILVER Star
Threads
Guys night topic, but after a couple beers a friend and I where discussing which rig was more capable, both are 60 series. Mine with 33s and 450 horsepower (450 torque) vs my friends with 37s but only 195 horsepower (265 torque). Both rigs have no lockers and are built equally otherwise.
Needless to say we did not come to an agreement, so what does everyone else think. Would tire size or Horsepower win out?

Offroad? Both trucks have no lockers, so both trucks would struggle offroad a great deal. Whatever amount of power you have, you have to be able to get traction. You can't get traction without lockers. If the fj60 is soa it might flex more to get more traction. But the soa makes a cruiser more top heavy unless it's a low sitting soa.

Rock crawling doesn’t require much horse power, just very low gears and torquey engine at idle.
Rock crawling favors bigger tires if rocks are big.
The bigger the tires, the less challenging extreme off road travel becomes.

Trail running favors horsepower if you want to go fast.

Street driving favors horse power and smaller tires.

Most land cruisers are double duty vehicles- they drive both on the street and off. So 33” tires are going to be superior on the street and acceptable off road, where the 37” tires are going to suck on pavement no matter what. Braking performance is inferior with 37” tires vs 33”.

My vote: the vehicle with 33” tires wins this contest regardless of the engine - if it has to drive on pavement too.

It’s not about power…. 37” for the win. It’s about traction and wheel placement, As long as your a good driver that is. I guess if you have a enough hoarse power you could get over anything too, but it would be improper, ugly, and taxing to your vehicle.

Torque and rpm are the relevant numbers here. Power = work/change in time and work is force/distance. So it’s a calculation based on a bunch of info but rather pointless as a useful number. Torque however can be directly measured as a relation to rpm.

two words, driver capability. i'm not dissin' the high horse/torque vehicle at all as i, like most testosterone charged men, like vehicles with bull sized nuts. just my 🪙🪙

Offroad? Both trucks have no lockers, so both trucks would struggle offroad a great deal. Whatever amount of power you have, you have to be able to get traction. You can't get traction without lockers. If the fj60 is soa it might flex more to get more traction. But the soa makes a cruiser more top heavy unless it's a low sitting soa.
if your struggling off-road because you don’t have lockers your doing something wrong. I believe that a open differential cruiser is very capable off-road until you do the extreme stuff!

Thanks all for all the good points. I will be taking mine out next weekend in north east Nevada for a shake down and to look at some old gold mining sites. My Land Cruiser set up will never be a rock crawler but will be nice to hit some mild trails and tow my boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom