Horn volume/ Aftermarket horns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The horn on my 62 is really quiet, it’s almost impossible to hear when the engine is running and I am sitting behind the wheel. What would cause this? And what do I do to fix it?

Also, what horn options do I have if I want to go louder/newer/etc? I saw the Hella horns on the TLC site, anybody have a set? If so are they worth it?

went to harbhor freight and bought the FIAAM'S for like $13.00
better than the stock horns for sure...

Lots of people here like the Hella DuoTone horns. See www.hella.com

M

BigSteve said:
The horn on my 62 is really quiet, it’s almost impossible to hear when the engine is running and I am sitting behind the wheel. What would cause this? And what do I do to fix it?

Also, what horn options do I have if I want to go louder/newer/etc? I saw the Hella horns on the TLC site, anybody have a set? If so are they worth it?

probably a bad ground

2badfjs said:
went to harbhor freight and bought the FIAAM'S for like $13.00
better than the stock horns for sure...

I second the FIAMMs. The price on Harbor Freight's site varys between $10 and $15 for each horn from what I've seen. Installation was easy -- essentially plug and play on my 80. I picked up a High Tone and a Low Tone horn for my install.

Louder and deeper in tone as compared to OEM.

sportbiker929 said:
probably a bad ground

Where would I look to check and see if there is a bad ground?

Thank you for the replies I am new and this is great.

$10 and $15 for each horn

no way, i got the kit with compressor,two trumpant horn for $13. :D

2badfjs said:
$10 and $15 for each horn

no way, i got the kit with compressor,two trumpant horn for $13. :D
I see. I didn't get the air version.

I got
this one

and this one

$9.99 each...plus shipping.

My horn problem was two fold. First the connection in the steering wheel was bad. There are links for this in the tech I think, if not PM me and I'll write you what I did. Second the stock horns catch water up front and begin to rust inside. I bought the Hella horns, pluged'em in and proceeded to make up for lost time by honking at every moron that got in my way. there is no missng the 118db hella horns.

Hey sleepy,
Supe easy install. I just YANKED the wires out of the stock fitting and then crimped on the copper ends that fit the hella horns. I think I used the little copper crimpy things from the stock plugs. I pryed them out with a small flat screw driver. I RECYCLE! (not realy).

THe steering wheel was the tricky one. I took it appart step by step, screw by screw and then added two 1/4" washers to each of the little screws that prop up the brass ring. This forces the pin in the upper part of the steering wheel to make contact with the brass ring which makes the horn go... HONK HONK. (small enough words? did I wake you sleepy?) :grinpimp:

...i got these. they were easy as hell to hook up. i did the same as mentioned above. i disconnected the old wires/crimped and put connecters on the end. mounted them in the same holes that held the old ones. i used the little bracket that came with em, bent it, so they would point straight out, behind the grill. LOUD! some like the old Toyota horn, but here in Denver, you need somthing to get these idiots attention. they kinda sound like a BIG Buick! ill pop off some pictures tomorrow.

MAXI SOUND PRICE $24.99

MODEL 320-2T / 112 Decibels- 400/500Hz
UNIVERSAL REPLACEMENT SET, (1 high tone / 1 low tone) 12 volts, 2 terminal connection, bright metal chrome grill and red plastic cover. If you are looking for a HIGH POWERED SOUND then MAXI SOUND is the horn for you! Fits all vehicles. Comes complete with all mounting hardware. Instruction in English / Spanish.

dogboy2 said:
i love Wolo's website....

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/

gotta love the diesel freight train :0

-db-

Selling my Hella's! ...must... have... train.. horns

Thanks for that site, very cool stuff in there!

LOL..................i have my sound cranked up at work listening to all these horns :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom