Horn Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

my 84 fj60 horn only works when I crank the steering wheel hard to the right. Anyone run into this problem before? Any suggestions before I pull the steering wheel?

Thanks in advance, Jeff

sounds like the contacts in the wheel/colume, might juest need a cleaning or?. Whee is easy to pull off, pop the center cover off, undo the nut but leave it on a few threads, then wiggle and pull...........off pops the wheel :)

Hey Jeff,

I fixed this on my 87 fj60, and afterwords found out that it's not an uncommon problem. As John said, it's due to wear. You gotta pull the steering wheel cover off, but not the wheel itself. The cover is held in place by three phillips screws on the back of the wheel. Once inside, the layout of the contacts is obvious. Just a simple go-over with emery paper might help. But, what's not so obvious, and what worked for me was to address a wear issue on a spring-loaded contact. There is a brass topped pin, with a coil spring around it's shaft, that contacts the underside of a brass ring. Both of these are in the center of the wheel, and are easily removed. The tip of the brass pin wears down over time. This means you only get electrical contact during part of the rotation of the wheel. Another member of this forum (forget who) said that the replacement pin is still available from the dealer. Since I was doing this on a Sunday afternoon, I installed some washers under the ring, to move it closer to the pin.

Go to Specter to see some drawings/prices. For example:
190-03I HORN CONTACT-8/80-1/90 FJ60/62 5.52
190-06K HORN RING-8/80-8/87 FJ60 9.50

99% chance, if you replace these two parts above, you'll be honking again.

Let me know if I can help any further.

when mine acted like that, it was the contact problem too...what I did was add washers under the brass ring that the contact spring thing connects to (as stated above). It's a five minute fix if you've got a steering wheel/harmonic balance puller. 20 if you don't.

also, I'd add a little electrical contact grease on the ring for good measure. You can get a small packet of that stuff up at the register of your local AutoZone for $.99 and is sold as spark plug boot grease...might help with the wear issue. For whatever reason, I'm thinking that the spring thing isn't available anymore...I could be wrong though.

about $15.00 in parts from Toyota..... horn ring and horn ring contact.... should fix you right up for at least another 15 years....

thanks Lovetoski: ours works great now.....

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

I had the same problem. Pull the steering wheel off. (Be sure to mark the posistion.) there is a brass pin that looks like a 22 cal shell. that is most likely worn. Get Toyota part number 8431220011 horn contact about 6.00. replace it and beep away.

Thanks everyone,

I'm going to tackle the horn to-morrow and doesn't sound (pun intended) like it'll be a problem.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom