Horn Pin Replacement Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

klinetime574

TLCA #27404
SILVER Star
Threads
Ordered a new Horn Pin. Toyota calls it a "Plate." SOR calls it a "Horn Brush."

The part consisted of the pin, a spring, and a little c-clip (not pictured)

HornFix1.jpg

This is how far apart I took it to fix this thing. My dash looks blue, camera flash is responsible.

HornFix2.jpg

Backside of where the pin goes through. My thumb is on the Hazard switch.

HornFix3.jpg

I think it was worth replacing wouldn't you say?

HornFix4.jpg

Final Product

HornFix6.jpg

Never seen a photo of a new pin next to an old one so I wanted to share my findings.

And the Horn works perfectly now :)

Ready for some butt-heads that cut me off in traffic ;)

:cheers:

Thanks for the pics. I didn't have to remove my turn signal switch to replace my plate (pin), but it was a little dicey trying to get the uber-small snap ring on the end of the pin, without losing it.

That's exactly how my pin looked (worn away) when I replaced it about a month ago... I also replaced the other contact piece that butts against the pic (the name eludes me right now).

It too works and there is no drag noise when I turn the wheel...now I gotta get horns with bigger cojones !!!

Thanks for the pics. I didn't have to remove my turn signal switch to replace my plate (pin), but it was a little dicey trying to get the uber-small snap ring on the end of the pin, without losing it.

Yeah no problem, After I saw that tiny c-clip I started to disassemble because there was no way I was gonna be able to get that sucker on there. I lost the little clip inside the black turn signal/ wiper control a few times and had to unscrew those to find it.

That's exactly how my pin looked (worn away) when I replaced it about a month ago... I also replaced the other contact piece that butts against the pic (the name eludes me right now).

It too works and there is no drag noise when I turn the wheel...now I gotta get horns with bigger cojones !!!

My contact plate looked good so I left it. Does any grease need to be applied in-between the two?

@SpikeStrip- LOL

Mine look good too but I figure I might as well change it.... N I did put some grease on the contact plate...

Spike: I like them horns but they would have to be in the engine bay..
On the roof would be a tad much... 10-fouuuur.... :)

I see some are using the Lexus horns...

need to do this myself. horn died a few weeks ago, along with headlight switch. taillights went out a couple years ago. running both on a toggle from AZ.

Thanks for posting you just helped me diagnose my own horn problem. I guessed that there was weak contact some where in the column because it works some of the time and better in certain wheel positions.

Thanks again!

I used some di-electric grease. In two days I ground off a couple millimeters haha

I went back in because I could hear grinding. Its all smooth now.

Glad this thread is helping you guys out!

I just replaced mine tonight. No more sometimes horn! Mine was ground down like in the picture. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, being it's an 85 pickup. Many spins on that wheel. I also dosed it with dielectric grease.

This pin that I replaced actually ended up wearing down again. I had to put a .22 casing on it. And now I think that is even worn out.

Best thing to do here is buy both the pin and plate that screws to the steering wheel. The surface of the piece screwed to the steering wheel must be too far gone. I'll probably do this in the future.

:cheers:

My horn went out on an extended trip, far away from any hope of getting an OEM replacement for several months. So I fixed the worn horn pin using a brass female threaded hex standoff... that for some reason I had in my bolts container. If the pin is carefully filed down to remove the remaining stub, the end of the pin can then be cram-threaded into the standoff.

The end result is a brass wiper that has more than 2X?, 3X? the material than the OEM little pin. It works great, is silent and is not wearing much at all... last time I checked, 5 years after I installed it. Might be wearing the metal ring on the wheel more, but I can't tell if that is so. I think it will last for the remaining life of the car.

You just use needlenose for the clip @dkyuss ? I need cheaters for my cheaters to see this thing!
I took the whole turn signal assembly apart (I was ultimately going in there to clean the relay contacts for headlights and found the horn pin just flopping in the hole, no spring or 'nob on the end'). IIRC the clip is easily accessible, and yes, just a leatherman for needle nose pliers. Its super tiny. Plan for it to spring off while installing and shield/cover the area to catch the randomly flying, super tiny, pain in the ass if I loose it c-clip. I got it on by the second try. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom