Horn Button Thoughts, 5 years after first replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I had the infamous intermittent horn problem back in 2014, and finally ordered the replacement for my worn-out original horn pin in 2015, swapped it in, and seemed to solve the problem. Maybe a year ago, it started going funky on and off; today, I put a new pin *and* a new ring in, and have a couple thoughts:

1.) I think corrosion on the ring from being parked for long periods of time makes it rougher, which wears pins out faster?
2.) A ring that's worn down one pin will be pre-roughed and wear through the replacement surprisingly fast. 5.5 years later, the 'new' pin was as worn out as the original pin was in 2015.
3.) Old ring was matte when I replaced the original pin. New ring was basically polished. There's no way that doesn't make a huge difference, on the order of adding decades to the 'wear' period.

Takeaway?
If you don't want to have to pull your steering wheel again in <5 years after you replace the pin, you should *absolutely* replace the ring.

Also, a prybar and one M8 bolt works better than a janky steering wheel puller without applying shock loads. Give it a try if your puller sucks like mine apparently does.

Hope that helps anybody with horn issues!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom