1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horbor Freight opened in town...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by srplus, Aug 18, 2006.

1. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

prolly the largest assortment of third world manufactured junk I have ever witnessed. Has anyone had any luck with anything specific there... any can't live withouts? It is now big opening day weekend so there are bargains to be had (some of the stuff is more expensive than sears or Home depot where there is a guarantee).

2. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

My favorite so far has been my set of 8 1/2 ton jack stands with stickers on the side warning that they are not to be used to support a vehicle.

3. Cuerno Largo

Cuerno Largo SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I find it to be a good source for tools you are likely to use once or twice, then never again (because they will likely break).

4. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

I pick and choose for sure but it is a great place for something you only need once! They also have decent prices on packages of packing tape, and boxes of nitrile gloves. Also found their $15 spray gun works nicer than my $200 Binks gun...and for $15 I can throw it away when it isn't worth cleaning.

5. jb welda

jb welda

ive bought floor jacks there very cheap that continue to function. i wont crawl under the car with it being held up by them though. for that i use the jack stands with the warning labels removed.

i have a portable air compressor and tank that i use for my airbrush that works rather well...cheap at harbor fraud.

and a punch set that i got there...nought wrong with it.

but like others said: great if you just want to use something once...their stuff will generally finish whatever job you start. thats more than i can say for a lot of other places ive bought tools only to have them crumble halfway through a job.

they got some nice bfh's too...not much can go wrong with a bfh.

one love
    jah bill

6. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

brushes to dust off your work bench.

brass drifts that cost next to nothing...hmmmmm...that's abou it...

7. e rock

e rock

HF Rule #1: Don't pay full price for anything. If it's not on sale right now, it will be soon.

After having an expensive angle grinder die after a relatively short time, I bought a HF special. It has been going strong for 5+ years now of fairly hard use. After about 6 months, it sounded like the bearings were starting to howl but it still won't quit.
    Last year they were on sale again so I bought a couple more at $15 each so I wouldn't have to switch the flap wheel, grinding disk, and wire wheel as often; each has it's own dedicated grinder and all tolled I spent about half the price of a Metabo.

Another thing that I recommend is the Ball Joint/U-Joint service kit. Watch for it to go on sale for $30 or less. Makes quick work of driveshaft u-joints and your buddy's Jeep's ball joint front axle.

Sometimes they also have good deals on digital calipers.

I rarely actually use a torque wrench, but the 1/2" one that goes on sale for $10 is actually not a bad tool.

That's all I can think of...

8. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I love the place. I bought a tranny jack there for under 100.00. On my 4" lifted 80 it had the reach to grab the tranny and get it down with ease. I've also bought some other tools with little expectation but have been really surprised.

9. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser Moderator

best stuff to get there is the disposable stuff. grider blades, cut off wheels, welding tips ect.. you spend 2 bucks a wheel at any hardware store but at harbor you get a 10 pack for 4 bucks and they last longer then the dewalt ones.

mike

BTW their a good place to have in town for when you need to fix something quick, their cheap and if ya break it you can go back and buy another one. I would not however buy any air tools from them as most of them arent worth the materials there made of.

10. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    You get what you pay for. Cut corners and it will catch up with you. That's not to say that you can't make it work most of the time. I'm just saying that I can't afford to stop a job or screw around looking for a replacement when the cheap Chinese crap breaks.

The safety factor is enough to push the issue over the top if nothing else does. I've talked to plenty of people who have had the pipe bender break while under tension, jack stands fail while in use, and electrical tools break down when needed. No thanks.

I'll keep buying reliable name brand stuff. It will cost me more in the dollars up front category, but those dollars will be recovered in the long run and I won't be stuck with crappy tools in the mean time.

11. jb welda

jb welda

funny thing:

every time i need (really need) to use a flashlight, my "quality" everready fails.

every time i need (really need) to use a drill, my "quality" craftsman has issues.

etc.

the problem is, even "quality" stuff is made in china these days, seemingly, and the only difference is the price. seems that way anyhow.

one love
    jah bill

12. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Buy a Surefire or Streamlight.

Buy a Bosch, Milwaukee, or Panasonic.

Not always. Buy Contractor grade products. They aren't much more expensive than the Craftsman junk and the like, but the will last much longer. I try to buy American, German, or Japanese made stuff. Most of the stuff made in Taiwan is okay too. The junk is always assembled in China as they are always the lowest bidder. That often translates into cheaper parts too. If the tool is being made in Germany or the U.S., they are usually assembling decent stuff. This unfortunately applies to tools, not cars.

13. jb welda

jb welda

actually if i really need to depend on a flashlight i use a tekna. ive got a diving light that ive used for over 20 years and it still works great, and seals fine to at least 100 ft.

i hear you on buying japanese though...cant hardly beat it. and its good advice about the contractor stuff too.

its just "made in america" just aint the same anymore.

but i think overall we agree.

one love
    jah bill

14. riverliver

riverliver

The color outdoor security camera for $30,(on sale) is definitly a bargain.

I can sit at my computer and see if anything is happening on my dead end road

Has sound and some night vision too. you also can hook to vcr and record when your gone.

15. hodag

hodag

-BFHs and a 5lb deadblow hammer
    -Pry bar set - used them for muscling in the new springs - put my 300 on them with no bending.
    -4 pack of welding gloves for like $6
    -flap disks and cut off wheels
    -tarps
    -angle finder for setting pinion

Hodag

I second the cheap angle grinders, I have 2 - one with a flap disk and one with a cut off. They are abused and keep on trucking.

16. fjwagon

fjwagon

I have gotten tarps, stamp dies, tweezer set, big o cresent wrench and other misc stuff. About 5 percent of my tools come from Harbor Frieght. I agree they are sometimes not the best tool for the job but are functional and most of the stuff I have bought I've had good luck with. One thing I have not been able to convince myself to do isbuy power tools. Some have actually had good with them.

17. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree on the light stuff. Shop rags, basic handtools that won't kill you, and other items are a deal at HF. It's just the cheap electric and hydraulic stuff that I worry about...

18. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I'm sure some of their stuff is crap. But let's face it, everything is coming ouit of China now a days.

Reminds me when I was a teenager back in the early 70s. Japanese stuff was known to be crap! Now look at it.

Like Japan I think China is in a transition stage and some real good quality mechandice will be coming out of there.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon

Some of their tools are actually decent and are decently priced.

Other tools are worthless because they're made from inferior quality metal.

An example is the stone chisels. The metal is soft and has little or no tempering. So the tool is basically disposable. It won't even last past a few concrete wall blocks.

And some items are a bargin if you realize you may have to accept some compromise. Like their worklights. I bought one of their tall work area two head halogen floodlights. The bulbs burned out within two hours. No problem, I went and bought quality bulbs elsewhere, and they've lasted for dozens and dozens of hours. But the unit itself was far less than the worklights elsewhere, and in fact is the same worklight some other places sell at three times the price.

Don't buy the cheap plain black high speed drills. They shatter. Broke four of them instantly trying to clear rust and debris from my drain holes in my FJ40 doors. At least get the gold colored titanium nitrided bits. They at least won't shatter.

Been happy with their pickup bed crane. Other than the fugly orange paint job.

Also, if you have a job where you know you're going to harm or ruin a tool, it's good to just buy a "scarifice tool" from Harbor Freight. For example, if you to cut some bricks or nursery stones for a wall, don't use your good circular saw. Buy their el-cheapo. That way you won't care when the bearing and brushes ingest the concrete dust.

And make a realistic appraisel of the tool before you buy it. Is it quality enough to do what I need it to do? Or should I go ahead an buy a more expensive, but better quality tool? If you're honest and careful, you should make out alright.

20. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

Just bought 4 6-ton Jackstands and a 2-1/4Ton floor jack. I inspected each carefully before putting it into service. Safer than the 35-year old american-made ones they replaced.

A lot of the so-called quality brand products are built in the same factory but with a better paint color. When you compare them side-to-side there is no difference but the packaging.

It's not all Chinese crap, at least some of it's made in India.:D

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">