Hoppy trailer wiring harness doesn't fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have recently come into a small tent trailer, but trailer light wiring on my Cruiser didn't work, so I ordered the Hoppy 43405 T harness, ( http://www.trailerwiring.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?part=43405 ) based on multiple threads here who speak well of them.

Pulled the rear panels and unplugged the tail light wiring harnesses, only to find that the Hoppy plugs don't fit. I can see that all the connection points are the exact same, but the plastic sockets just don't fit together at all.

I'm 100% certain that I'm looking at the right truck harness for the truck taillight. Just appears that the Hoppy harness, labeled to fit 1991-1998 does not indeed fit at least my 1991.

Anyone else ever run into this problem with a Hoppy?

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed and my wallet is $45 lighter.

Guess I'll break out the wirecutters.

P
IMG_4909.JPG
IMG_4910.JPG

Last edited:
My Hoppy was a pure plug - n - play so I wonder what's up with yours! Before you cut wires, let's see what others have to say and maybe a pic or two of their Hoppy plugs. That side of my interior is hard to access due to all the crap that's there now!

I had the same issue with my 1990 HDJ81; thought it might be a JDM vs US model issue. I sliced up the plugs with a knife and made them fit (not very pretty and needed tape to keep them connected). Afterwards, I wondered if I spliced the wrong place (in the rear panels near the light assembly), maybe there were other connectors under the rig to use?

G'luck, -Steve

Maybe Steve is onto something? I bet there is another splice somewhere else. I'd luck under the truck as well as in the panels.

Or you could just be screwed because you have a 1991 and it is different. I've been in both harnesses And as I recall there are some differences in the back panel areas. The FZJs have a lot more wires. Maybe due to the Elockers? Even on the non Elocked FZJs the plugs are built for the Elockers.

The FZJs have a lot more wires. Maybe due to the Elockers? Even on the non Elocked FZJs the plugs are built for the Elockers.

My 1990 HDJ81 has FR and RR Elockers, so I don't think that's the issue. In the cases that the Hoppy kits fitted correctly, were the connectors in the rear panels near the light assemblies used?

-Steve

My 1990 HDJ81 has FR and RR Elockers, so I don't think that's the issue. In the cases that the Hoppy kits fitted correctly, were the connectors in the rear panels near the light assemblies used?

-Steve

From everything I have seen (installation instructions, posts in MUD, etc.) the plugs used are the ones behind the rear panels. Nothing under the truck is useable for trailer light harnesses IIRC. There is one plug under the rear of the rig (at least on later model years) that can be used to power a reverse light or license plate light but not much else.

I guess I would question Hoppy stating the kit works for '91-'98 as that really covers 3 vehicle models (FJ80, FZJ80, and UZJ100). That would get me to questioning the accuracy of their claim :frown:.

The 1991-92 tail lamp wiring harness pigtail assembly is a different part number than the 93-97 and the connectors are slightly different.

The 1991-92 tail lamp wiring harness pigtail assembly is a different part number than the 93-97 and the connectors are slightly different.

Dan,

given this is the wiring the same, just that the connector is different? I wonder for those with 91-92 FJ80s if they could splice in a newer model year connector to make the Hoppy work if they chose to go that route. Assuming of course that Hoppy doesn't carry a 91-92 FJ80 kit specifically which in perusing their site it does not appear that they do. As previously stated above Hoppy lists the same kit (#43405) for model year '91 thru '98 :rolleyes:

Not sure what new OEM pigtails would run just to get the connector so maybe finding a vehicle that is being parted out would be a better alternative?

From everything I have seen (installation instructions, posts in MUD, etc.) the plugs used are the ones behind the rear panels. Nothing under the truck is useable for trailer light harnesses IIRC. There is one plug under the rear of the rig (at least on later model years) that can be used to power a reverse light or license plate light but not much else.

There is a plug under the rear of the truck (on a '97 at least) that is designed for hooking up a harness. That's how mine is done.

Tom

There is a plug under the rear of the truck (on a '97 at least) that is designed for hooking up a harness. That's how mine is done.

Tom

Tom,

Could you take a picture of the plug and location? That might prove most useful to others. My '97 is using the plugs behind the rear panels. The only unused plug under my '97 I have found is a 3 pin connector (IIRC) and only one of those pins had power. I used this to power my rear license plate light and I believe CDan uses this to power his aux back up light.

I could take a picture but that would require me to drop the spare and that rates pretty low on my list of priorities right now. Plus, I taped everything up pretty good so I don't think you would see too much. I'm pretty sure I took some pictures during installation so I will see if I can find them when I get home. As stated, the connectors are located just off center on the rear of the truck.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks! If you find those pics post 'em up. My spare is out of the way so if I get home before dark I'll try to take a look in the area indicated and see what I can find.

:cheers:

I have a plug under the vehicle but could that be for the aux tank? In any case, if memory serves, I disconnected a tail lamp harness (in the pass rear panel) and placed the Hoppy plug in to it.

Same thing here. I bought the Hoppy harness and it didn't fit my 91. Curious thing is it was recomended to me from another FJ80 owner who said it was plug and play. Perhaps the change was in late 91 or early 92. Mine is April of 91.

Thanks for all the input - I called Hoppy and sent them the pics and Frank over there agreed that there's not fit, but said that it's the first time he's ever seen that.

I'm guessing that Dan is right about the different pigtails, just that Hoppy isn't aware of the fact.

I actually also have the plugs underneath the frame in the rear that Tom mentions that looks like it'd play nicely with the T-One that Tom mentions, but I need the lights for tomorrow, so I'm headed to Walmart to buy the Hoppy splice-in kit - http://www.trailerwiring.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?part=48915&submit=Lookup

Word to the wise for you '91 owners - the Hoppy may not fit your truck as advertised!

P

Yes, sounds like Hoppy needs to change there application guide to state model years '93-'97.

I'm also trading info back and forth with Hoppy as I bought the 4 flat to 7 RV adapter dealyo. Everything works except the parking lights (i.e. for night driving) and I noticed when plugging the 4 flat into the adapter that on the Hoppy end the ground for the 4 flat is capped off. Frank at Hoppy (guess the same one you have chatted with) says the 7 RV ground should suffice but yet mine still doesn't work. Blinkers work, stop lights work, etc. but no parking lights so I can't tow at night :confused:. Of course to muddle the issue I also have one of the ModuLite deals that the PO installed that is probably mucking things up.

Pictures - as requested.

Pic 1: Connectors

Pic 2: Harness

Pic 3: Harness after I got done with it

Tom
Harness1.JPG
Harness2.JPG
Harness3.JPG

GREAT pics Tom! Thanks for sharing as this comes up a lot and that will probably help many folks down the road!

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom