Hoping to get a clear and straight answer: Towing my FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am attending a car show in Santa Rosa, FL sometime in next month - if I can find a solution to tow my FJ40 behind my 2015 Tacoma V6/Class IV factory hitch, etc. My max tow capacity for my truck is 6,500. I have run the numbers and there is no way I can flat bed this on a uhaul trailer (maxes out) and dont have funds to buy an alumatrailer for lighter weight. Therefore I am looking at a dolly for the 330 mile trip (660 total) with rear drive shaft disconnected/all in neutral).

At this time, I am not wanting to drive the FJ40 on its own - maybe next year once I get a few small things sorted.

Is my Fj40 too heavy for a Uhaul dolly? The dolly specs are:
  • Max Load: 3,450 lbs. when towing a front-wheel drive vehicle, 3,900 lbs. when towing a rear-wheel drive vehicle.
  • Empty weight: 750 lbs.
Assuming my FJ40 (hardtop) is around 4,700-4,000, this should work.

Maybe it is too heavy for the dolly which is showing max load of 3450. See below for what their calculations are showing.

Has anyone towed your 40 with a dolly and say a v6 truck?

uhaul_dolly1.JPG

I am attending a car show in Santa Rosa, FL sometime in next month - if I can find a solution to tow my FJ40 behind my 2015 Tacoma V6/Class IV factory hitch, etc. My max tow capacity for my truck is 6,500. I have run the numbers and there is no way I can flat bed this on a uhaul trailer (maxes out) and dont have funds to buy an alumatrailer for lighter weight. Therefore I am looking at a dolly for the 330 mile trip (660 total) with rear drive shaft disconnected/all in neutral).

At this time, I am not wanting to drive the FJ40 on its own - maybe next year once I get a few small things sorted.

Is my Fj40 too heavy for a Uhaul dolly? The dolly specs are:
  • Max Load: 3,450 lbs. when towing a front-wheel drive vehicle, 3,900 lbs. when towing a rear-wheel drive vehicle.
  • Empty weight: 750 lbs.
Assuming my FJ40 (hardtop) is around 4,700-4,000, this should work.

Maybe it is too heavy for the dolly which is showing max load of 3450. See below for what their calculations are showing.

Has anyone towed your 40 with a dolly and say a v6 truck?

View attachment 3250548
In my humble opinion, even if you marginally sneak in under the limits, it isn't worth the risk of injury/damage to you, your vehicle and others. Another out of the box option would be to look into renting a Penske truck with a vehicle transporter trailer. Last time we looked at this they were not that expensive.

I think its the weight of my Tacoma not being at least 750lbs more than the towed vehicle....that is what it states on the dolly tech sheet. Mine comes in under that....assuming my FJ40 is around 3,400-3,700....

Do you have a highway scale nearby? Dump? Metal recycling Dropoff?

I know my 40 is 4700 lbs+ but it’s highly modified. Stock weight is far less. If you had actual weight numbers you’d know better.

Remove roof?

So long as you are under weight ratings, you’ll be fine if you’re sensible. I’m certain UHaul is conservative in their capacities. They don’t want to be sued.

Drop the rshaft, unlock the front hubs, grip it and rip it on the flat (i.e., pray the Tacoma brakes can stop all that mass when it's time)

Last edited:
i dollied my bj70 home 800km it was fine.... you cant really back a dolly up tho without breaking it ( they bind up) so be forewarned

FWIW , IMO, If the tow vehicle has a tow rate of 6500, my 14 ft, flatbed trailer, dual 6 lug axle, 1 with brakes, 7500 lb load, is approx. 1750 + the fj40 is at or under the tow rating of the tow rig. With a brake controller and good hitch I would tow it. Now if the rental trailer is heavier and/or requires a 3/4 truck that means buying a trailer, you may not want to do that. If that is the case I would use the dolly. I would check the dolly wheel bearings & tires, I do not trust rental yards.

Have you asked if U-Haul will allow you to use you Tacoma?
It doesn't matter what the specs are, there are certain vehicles they have a policy against allowing to tow.

it's not rocket science .....

you better just get the dual axles flat bed trailer in your head now , that is how it will be , or this may happen .....

55tow45 - Copy.jpg

@Blastservices

The story has been told before, the question still comes up. Flat tow, trailer or dolly? We all have answers and some have stories. If you are 24 and have a 40 in Dothan Alabama along with a 1968 mercury montego 4 speed convertible sporting a 390 and both need to get to Statesville NC at the same time, and not mud community to talk to, you just do what you do. Rent a trailer hitch for the back of the Montego and another for the front of the 40 and off you go. Just under 500 miles. Did remove the rear drive, but that was all. Did I mention that this was in February of 79 and a snow/ice storm hit the south east and put traffic to a crawl. So find a montego, weights around 3400 pounds, cheap towing stuff and snow and ice and go for it. Or take the recommendation of the smart people on mud. 😃
Calculate and be safe.
5CED78B0-21EF-4E75-B04E-A05146DEEA13.png

Not my exact car, and no I did not drive all the way with the top down. Or did I

You're getting a lot of info. Doesn't help with a clear and straight answer...

I am assuming your Tacoma is a crew cab or at least an extra cab version. If not, I wouldn't try towing another vehicle behind it.

Here is what I would do:
Make sure your insurance company will cover your 40 if something happens!! If they don't, get temporary coverage. If they won't, don't continue.
Call U-Haul and make sure they will rent you a tow dolly with your truck. When they ask what you are towing, tell them an old jeep type vehicle. They will have no clue what an FJ40 is.
When you pick up the dolly, INSPECT it thoroughly. Make sure they have recently serviced it. Check everything!
Make sure it has a good spare tire or ask for one if it doesn't come with one
Get it home and put your 40 on it.
Drive around a bit and try stopping quick.
If the rear of the truck feels like it's getting pushed by the dolly, put a couple hundred pounds in the bed. You want the weight over the rear axle to reduce the pushing affect of the dolly.
Since you are driving 600+ miles, prepare a toolkit with spares and roadside assistance from your car insurance company.
Be safe on the road and have fun.

Hope that helps.

Almost forgot, make sure your Tacoma brakes are in good working order. I know it seems obvious, but we often trust Toyota quality so much, we forget about basic maintenance.

I DID have to lie to uhaul to dolly my 70 series on it... i believe it was technically too heavy, my tow rig (tundra) was sufficient
If i did it again i would just car trailer it

i would simply never use a tow dolly ever again , it's too sketchy and the whole rear axle rotating without it's own power messes with my head ...

i have taken my rear drive shaft off more then once , never again :confused:

I tried to flat tow my 40 with a Taco and ended up in the neighbors yard when I tried to make the first turn. I immediately gave the tow bar away. I had flat towed previously with an 80 and that was better, but still white kn uckle all the way.

I eventually bought a dual axle Dively trailer with brakes on both axles and had no problems towing. The Dively open trailer weights about 1,700 pounds and costs less than $2K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom