Hopefully a quick question/fix. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just did all the brake rotors and pads on my LX with new StopTech cryo treated rotors and StopTech Sport pads. The vehicle stops fantastically. However the beautiful new rotors also had a black anti corrosion finish on all surfaces except the machines braking face. Now my parking brake will not hold in a hill. It seems the parking brake drum shoes are not getting enough friction against the coated inside of the rotor drum. Yes, I cleaned and wiped down all surfaces of the rotor with brake cleaner before installing and yes I adjusted the parking brake so it is tight. It is just a friction issue.

Any ideas? Drive around a bit with the parking brake on to rough up the mating surface in the rotor? Use the parking brake for a few stops? I don’t want to have to pull it all apart again to hit it with sandpaper or something.

Edit, it holds in most normal situations, just not on my very steep driveway.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It isnt too smooth. Likely needs adjusted outward so they have more push on the drum.

They could be polished diamonds and the shoes would exert enough force to hold the truck.

I am guessing your adjustment maybe wasnt quite enough. There is also typically some adjustment at the interior ebrake lever...cables stretch over time. Have you adjusted it there as well?

It isnt too smooth. Likely needs adjusted outward so they have more push on the drum.

They could be polished diamonds and the shoes would exert enough force to hold the truck.

I am guessing your adjustment maybe wasnt quite enough.
I guess I should add, it holds in most circumstances but I have a steep (very steep) driveway where it doesn’t hold.

I wonder if you can "automatically" adjust the brake shoes by driving in reverse and slamming the parking brakes. This is supposed to (if working properly) adjust the little toothed wheel on the shoes and push them outward some.

Now if that is just on real drum-only brakes I apologize. Figured they are the same sort of thing

I may be mistaken, but I thought the parking brake auto adjusted by yanking on the lever. Maybe yank on it a bunch of times, see it if tightens up a little more?

I wonder if you can "automatically" adjust the brake shoes by driving in reverse and slamming the parking brakes. This is supposed to (if working properly) adjust the little toothed wheel on the shoes and push them outward some.

Now if that is just on real drum-only brakes I apologize. Figured they are the same sort of thing
I may be mistaken, but I thought the parking brake auto adjusted by yanking on the lever. Maybe yank on it a bunch of times, see it if tightens up a little more?
No to both.

There’s no auto adjuster as there would be in “normal” drum brakes. When they do expanding shoe parking brakes they generally (I have never seen one) don’t have an auto adjust feature.

Our p-brakes have an initial adjustment on the brakes themselves and then a nut under the cupholder for final adjustment.

Last edited:
My parking brake is terrible. I might as well not even have one. No one can seem to get it adjusted right.

I just did all the brake rotors and pads on my LX with new StopTech cryo treated rotors and StopTech Sport pads. The vehicle stops fantastically. However the beautiful new rotors also had a black anti corrosion finish on all surfaces except the machines braking face. Now my parking brake will not hold in a hill. It seems the parking brake drum shoes are not getting enough friction against the coated inside of the rotor drum. Yes, I cleaned and wiped down all surfaces of the rotor with brake cleaner before installing and yes I adjusted the parking brake so it is tight. It is just a friction issue.

Any ideas? Drive around a bit with the parking brake on to rough up the mating surface in the rotor? Use the parking brake for a few stops? I don’t want to have to pull it all apart again to hit it with sandpaper or something.

Edit, it holds in most normal situations, just not on my very steep driveway.

Thanks!

Any improvement in your parking brake? I’m installing the same rotors and pads as you on the rear of my LX next weekend. Wondering if replacing the parking brake shoes at the same time would help, or if sanding the inside of the rotors is a good idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom