Hopefully a quick EGR question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm continuing my attempts to determine why my 94' is stumbling and hesitating, and sometimes stalling. I have disabled the EGR with the paperclip trick and have redirected the vacuum lines to form a loop on the EGR, so no gases are entering the intake.

My question is; if my EGR valve was possibly stuck open before I disabled it (I don't know if it was or not), and is open now in it's disabled state, can it have any effect on the vehicle? I want to rule out the EGR entirely and move on to other parts to check/replace. I do not have any EGR related codes at this time.

Thanks,
Chris

You can test the EGR valve by applying vacuum to it during idle. If the engine stumbles and then dies while vacuum is applied (opening EGR flow) then you know the EGR is functioning when vacuum is applied.

To answer your question - yes if it's somehow stuck open it will allow unwanted EGR flow and cause the engine to run poorly, especially at idle.

My question is; if my EGR valve was possibly stuck open before I disabled it (I don't know if it was or not), and is open now in it's disabled state, can it have any effect on the vehicle?

yes, itll still be open so you would still be getting the effect of the egr. you can try giving it a light hit with a hammer to get the valve to close

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom