hook a brutha up! (got it all fixed...thanks!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sup y'all,

i have a problem. first let me explain my situation:

i'm at my house (as opposed to at school), it's 11:15, and my neighbor has newborn twins.

therefore i can't make a bunch of noise and i don't have all of my tools (just wreches, rachets, hammers, screwdrivers, a sidegrinder (can't use), etc. whatever i carry in my toolbox)

all that said, i'm takin the clutch master cylinder out and the edge of one of the bolts (i have the 3 bolt kind) is under the lip of the brake booster assembly.

i can't get the bolt off unless i do something to the lip of the booster or take the booster off / move it a few inches.

what should i do?
i'm askin b/c i have a meeting tomorrow morning at 10, and i don't want to screw stuff up like i'm likely to do just goin at it myself.

thanks y'all,
malphrus

hook a brutha up! (need help now, please...)

take the booster off, its easy, just 4 bolts and the clevis pin at the pedal.

aight awesome,

thanks pimp.

i don't have my haynes here and i've never messed with the brakes outside of adjusting my drums, so i didn't want to take off anything that would spew various and asundry fluids/toxic gases in my face or on my parent's driveway, ha ha.

appreciate it,
malphrus

aight pimp, nother question for ya.

how hard should it be for me to pull the booster off?
(we are in agreement on what the booster is? the big black circular thing right up next to the fire wall with a vacuum hose runnin out from it?)

i took the nuts off (there were studs goin back into the fire wall that threaded into it), and the pin out for the pedal but no budgin it (i don't want to break it, so i'm not tryin too hard)

what am i doin wrong?

thanks again,
malphrus

malphrus,
I don't recall the booster being that bad, but there is a rubber boot inside that you may be fighting.

I looked at my clutch master, and I think you ought to be able to get in there with an angle head wrench and get that bolt you're talking about without taking off the booster.

If its factory it just may be stuck with the gasket that was on there plus a little rust.

i don't think it's factory (it says bendix on it, so i'm pretty sure it's a napa booster) and the clutch master won't come out without takin the booster off.

i've been at a meetin all day (drove the neighbor's car :D) so i'm bout to go back out and tackle it.

malphrus

yeahyo,

got everything off and then back on. just had to think about it a little more than i could last night at 1 o clock.

i'm about to start bleeding the system, any suggestions/tips?
i've never done this before, but i understand the premise, you want to get all the air bubbles out of the line and do so by keepin a full reservoir and pumpin the clutch a lot and periodically openin the bleed nipple/valve.

malphrus

Have someone else (or a stick) pump and HOLD the clutch pedal in. THEN bleed out the air, pedal held in. If you take off the pedal pressure while you bleed you not only won't get the air out, but you might just suck more in. And, yeah, don't let the reservoir get low, or you get to start over.

So what did it take to get the booster off?

If you hadthe M/C completely out, drained. You should have bench bled it before reinstalling. You can still do it on the vehicle, but it makes a mess, and brake fluid likes to eat paint.

yeah ranger, i thought about that, but how far does thinkin get anybody these days? ha ha.

i just wasn't holdin my tongue right when i was trying to pull the brake booster off. it just popped off finally.

i also discovered, however, that the clutch master cylinder that was on my cruiser was not a 72. i ordered a 72 mc from toyota and got it. thinking they were the same (they look the same while they aren't next to each other), i just took the old one off and slapped the other one back in and went to hookin everything up.

ends up that the fitting on the mc and the reservoir are switched in position on the new one (72) that i got from the one that was one there before. needless to say this caused a little trouble with me having to bend the hardline to get the fitting to alow hydraulic travel while not leaking. arghhh.

anyways i get it all finished and bled (thanks dad) and i hop in to drive back to school at 12:15 last night. (i wanted to be there for church this morning)

and my lights don't come on. i take it as a sign and just go back inside.

thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it,

malphrus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom