Hood windshield hooks and bump stops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roastchestnuts

TLCA #28675 Salt wagon Fj40
Threads
I am planning on adding hood windshield bump stops and hooks to have my windshield folded down. I plan on driving with the windshield folded down some in the summer. would anybody be so kind to give me measurements of center for those things. My cruiser did not have these installed into the hood. I hope its not too blasphemous adding these to my 1964 haha.

you might want to try it with a temporary pad before you go too far. I might be alone in this opinion but I get tired of it pretty quickly at paved road speeds.
speed limit around town is 25 where I live. I have driven around with a samurai like that for a day. not so bad.

they dont look terrible when they're sanitized.

lc02.jpg

Does your hood have provisions on the hood like on the aprons for the hooks to latch into when they're not in use?

You need to get measurements from 74 and older .
I think it look weird with no hooks and pads , i also like to drop the windshield for slow ride and trail

Hard top models did not pads or hooks until the mid sixties.

The B is the one you need, for 71 and older

View attachment 3215973

A was used only during the 68 model and possibly early 69. Prior to that they were.a single level equal to the lower section on the B style. Pretty sure it was the new wiper wiper with a single motor that caused the change.

This thread could help

20220410_121615.jpg

Center cruiser is a 1960 FJ25 FST. Can see the lower pads. Left is a 1961 FJ40 FHT. It does not have hooks or pads. The Right one while a 1962 FJ40 FHT the hood is not original to the cruiser and has mounts holes and the spot welded catch for the hooks. Believe it is from a 69. I do have a second 61 FJ40 FHT hood without the pads and hooks.

I think it might be easier to just find a hood that has the windshield bumpstop and hook holes drilled already. Harder to find split hoods though. because Like @pb4ugo said I dont have those things the hooks hook into on the hood. or the windshield for that matter. (I was planning on welding some in on the windshield frame) I am not sure if you can buy those little tabs the hooks rest in. I guess for now Ill be resting a towel under the windshield and driving real slow in the summer until I find a hood close buy In NC. If anybody has any ideas let me know!

Maybe using the later model rests and hooks might work better, but idk. The hooks attach to the rests with the windshield up. You could set the windshield down to determine where the rest should be. You still would need to alter the frame for the hooks. I wouldn't run the windshield down without having it secure. I seen j##ps have bad results trying that.

Maybe using the later model rests and hooks might work better, but idk. The hooks attach to the rests with the windshield up. You could set the windshield down to determine where the rest should be. You still would need to alter the frame for the hooks. I wouldn't run the windshield down without having it secure. I seen j##ps have bad results trying that.
Yeah I thought about that too. those are an option. I think if I want to do this right (or as right as I can) I gotta find a hood with the holes already drilled and the hook rest things. I can paint the hood and add the hooks and pads. I think It will be worth my time to do that. I stupidly had not thought about the things @jim land mentioned above. What do you call those things? hook perch? And you are right about driving with out it secured. I should not do that.

Maybe find a couple of trashed aprons for cheap that have the hood hold down clips that could be recycled.

I think spotwelds, at least that’s how I attached a handmade clip to my apron.

I think I have found and gathered all the parts to make my hood bumpstops and hooks work. I ended up buying the year correct rubber bump stops and hooks. I found a place that will send the clip for the hooks. I also have a back up for that too if they dont send me the parts. the part on the top of the windsheild seems pretty easy to fab up and weld on. Now all I need are some good measurements. as I dont have a fj40 at hand with the bumpstops and hooks, I am asking a kind sole to give me some measurements on the hood so I can attach everything.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom