Hood vents vs snorkel for a supercharged 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it’s my first summer with my blown 80 and I’m starting to scheme on how to keep this thing “coolish” this summer. I copied everything I did on my last 80 to keep it cool—- new radiator (previous owner put in a denso and I know TYCs are better), new coolant, 20k in Eaton fan clutch, move useless lights away from grill— and SO FAR so good. I hit 195 on the at home which isn’t crazy at all. But the nature of forced induction means that things will just get hotter when I’m actually wheeling and it’s under high load at low speeds

SO this brings me to my conundrum. My budget for the summer is only big enough for all of my favorite wheeling trips and either hood vents OR a snorkel.

Do the supercharged folks see a “larger” decrease in coolant temps by decreasing intake temps with the snorkel OR by decreasing engine bay temps with the hood vents.

super loaded question I know😅 but I’m curious to see how peoples experiences compare between the two options.

I don't have a blown 80 but have run a turboed 1FZ and 1HDT with the Gturbo catalogue fitted, towing through summer here.

Hood vents will do more for coolant temp than a snorkel but without an intercooler I'd be concerned about IATs more than coolant temp if the cooling system is up to scratch.

Though my engine just took a s***, I never seen hotter than 195 temps. A year ago I replaced the thermostat to a 185, and add @Outsane hood riser because I didn't want to cut into the hood.

Others here in NC that are running superchargers have vents in the hood, and or intercoolers.

If you want to lower coolant temp, hood vents or hood risers make more sense. They'll evacuate the air in the engine bay allowing your fan to pull more efficiently through the radiator.

I don't have a blown 80 but have run a turboed 1FZ and 1HDT with the Gturbo catalogue fitted, towing through summer here.

Hood vents will do more for coolant temp than a snorkel but without an intercooler I'd be concerned about IATs more than coolant temp if the cooling system is up to scratch.
I definitely agree with that, in a perfect world I just do both right now😂 I’ve never had any pinging but I think about it all summer

Though my engine just took a s***, I never seen hotter than 195 temps. A year ago I replaced the thermostat to a 185, and add @Outsane hood riser because I didn't want to cut into the hood.

Others here in NC that are running superchargers have vents in the hood, and or intercoolers.
Do you ever have any issues with the hood latching? That’s a interesting solution

Do you ever have any issues with the hood latching? That’s a interesting solution
Once. I didn't tighten the bolts enough and my struts pulled the hood forward.

Also don't know your budget, but I've been talking to an old member that might make a few intercooler kits again 🤞🏽

Thanks @MyWhiteSheep

I have been super impressed with the Hood risers, it was a suggestion from @LandCruiserPhil I have been stomping on the gas going up grades with no issues.

The other cool part is that they are easily removable.

No forced induction on my truck but it's snorkeled with a a hood scoop and vents. Snorkel had very little influence on coolant temps, but there was a nice improvement from the scoop and vents. Parley's canyon on I-80 between SLC and Park City, Utah is a good test for temps as the hills in the canyon are steep and long and its a main interstate. Just drove this over the weekend with 94* outdoor temp. Coolant never got higher than 197*. Before the vents (and with the snorkel) I would regularly see coolant hit temps above 200*, usually 205-210* on the long hills.

You want to reduce IATs. The snorkle install reduced my summer IAts from 170-180 down to within 5-10° of ambient.

Vents reduced under hood temps but did zero to reduce engine temps. Did lots of testing on this.
So interesting to see the difference in results from the vents on yours and mine. The IAT had similar results from the snorkel but it didn't help coolant temps. Cool air going into the motor is definitely a plus though.

You want to reduce IATs. The snorkle install reduced my summer IAts from 170-180 down to within 5-10° of ambient.

Vents reduced under hood temps but did zero to reduce engine temps. Did lots of testing on this.

No forced induction on my truck but it's snorkeled with a a hood scoop and vents. Snorkel had very little influence on coolant temps, but there was a nice improvement from the scoop and vents. Parley's canyon on I-80 between SLC and Park City, Utah is a good test for temps as the hills in the canyon are steep and long and its a main interstate. Just drove this over the weekend with 94* outdoor temp. Coolant never got higher than 197*. Before the vents (and with the snorkel) I would regularly see coolant hit temps above 200*, usually 205-210* on the long hills.
This is the interesting difference between forced induction and NA 80s. It seems like my best bet is to go with the snorkel and play around with the hood risers for now. Down the road, it’s definitely getting hood vents

Thanks @MyWhiteSheep

I have been super impressed with the Hood risers, it was a suggestion from @LandCruiserPhil I have been stomping on the gas going up grades with no issues.

Some SC guys in Phoenix find it as the only way to keep from overheating. Arizona sets the bar for heat, high today is 115° with a low of 85° LA has an Excessive heat warning with a high of 94 ° LOL

Anyone have a source on those AU style snorkels, polished stainless tube?
f63ed4353608ac2c6080fdafedd60865.png

LA is not the SF Valley. LA is ocean influence and SF Valley is Death Valley/Central CA influence. 110-115° is common in the summer months in the valley.

edit: some clowns just can’t stop laughing at their own stupidity…👇

Last edited:
Some SC guys in Phoenix find it as the only way to keep from overheating. Arizona sets the bar for heat, high today is 115° with a low of 85° LA has an Excessive heat warning with a high of 94 ° LOL
It's not because it's only 94.
It's in effect for the week going into triple digit temps, as high fire danger and elderly/people without a/c need to adequately prepare for the week(s) ahead. Suddenly going from 70 to 105 in a few days, it can have serious effects for some people.

Thanks @MyWhiteSheep

Do you have a link for this Hood Riser Mod? Part Source? Looking for additional cooling due to turbo... Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom