Hood vents vs snorkel for a supercharged 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's not because it's only 94.
It's in effect for the week going into triple digit temps, as high fire danger and elderly/people without a/c need to adequately prepare for the week(s) ahead. Suddenly going from 70 to 105 in a few days, it can have serious effects for some people.

Trust me there is a HUGE difference between 105° and 117°. In another month we will see 100° at midnight so a high of 105° is spring for us.

Do you have a link for this Hood Riser Mod? Part Source? Looking for additional cooling due to turbo... Thanks!

Trust me there is a HUGE difference between 105° and 117°. In another month we will see 100° at midnight so a high of 105° is spring for us.
not enough to make anybodything safe to eat

I'm also from Phoenix, AZ (Paradise Valley). Been years since I've been back due to the military, but as a teen we only went out at night and it was still in the high 90s/ low 100s.

I'm also from Phoenix, AZ (Paradise Valley). Been years since I've been back due to the military, but as a teen we only went out at night and it was still in the high 90s/ low 100s.

Sadly it has not changed.

Anyone have a source on those AU style snorkels, polished stainless tube?
I can assist but shipping to the states is a bit of a nightmare.

I have hood vents installed on my 91 w/ a Ron Davis Radiator, upgraded fan clutch, dual pusher fans in front of AC condenser and tranny cooler, my engine temp stays at 195-200F going across I-70 outside of Utah pulling steep highway grade with 4 ppl fully loaded with gear and full AC blasting in 105-110 degree heat.
20210604_112124.jpg

I have hood vents installed on my 91 w/ a Ron Davis Radiator, upgraded fan clutch, dual pusher fans in front of AC condenser and tranny cooler, my engine temp stays at 195-200F going across I-70 outside of Utah pulling steep highway grade with 4 ppl fully loaded with gear and full AC blasting in 105-110 degree heat. View attachment 2704619

I use Ron Davis Radiators in everything I build. Yes, they are not cheap. That's because they are not cheap, crap. What they are is well engineered to do the job at hand. In a 60 series with electric fans and LS3 the fans stop running above 40-45 MPH. Although not AZ heat, we get to the mid to high 90s here in SC.

Intercool it with the biggest cooler you can fit. That will net the best and biggest results.

Reducing IAT’s is also far more important than engine bay temps.

Cheers

Intercool it with the biggest cooler you can fit. That will net the best and biggest results.

Reducing IAT’s is also far more important than engine bay temps.

Cheers
I wish an air to water was in the budget🤦🏾‍♀️ And I wish an normal intercooler was easier to plumb

Some SC guys in Phoenix find it as the only way to keep from overheating. Arizona sets the bar for heat, high today is 115° with a low of 85° LA has an Excessive heat warning with a high of 94 ° LOL
well actually it was104 in the san gabreil valley not sure what was in the other .Palm springs was much higher. But hell the news here has storm warnings fora 1/4 of rain.

I've got an LS swapped rig and have been steadily working out some of the kinks, coolant temp being one of them. Low speed and idling is great. These engines tend to be happy at 195 - 205. I've got dual electric fans and a powered AT cooler all moving air through the radiator. However, at sustained highway speed I see temps creep up to 215, sometimes higher. Never has spewed. My theory is I'm building up high pressure under the hood decreasing airflow over the radiator. Years ago I had a modified Datsun S30 Z car and they suffered from the same thing. It wasn't uncommon to see some creative ducting and venting going on.

Have been talking to my builder about raising the rear of the hood to test my theory - figure that's a much better way than cutting holes in the hood. The hood risers are a perfect solution. Just ordered a set and hope to have some positive results to report soon.

Update, I made a 3/4” hood riser snd took it for a test run! It hit 200 going up the trail in high snd once I put it in low it only hit 190. So far so good🤷🏽‍♀️. I can’t say I’m a fan of the look though so I’ll probably drop it to 3/8” riser

I have hood vents installed on my 91 w/ a Ron Davis Radiator, upgraded fan clutch, dual pusher fans in front of AC condenser and tranny cooler, my engine temp stays at 195-200F going across I-70 outside of Utah pulling steep highway grade with 4 ppl fully loaded with gear and full AC blasting in 105-110 degree heat. View attachment 2704619
Do you or could you get any front/ front looking down shots of your vent setup? looks great!

I've got an LS swapped rig and have been steadily working out some of the kinks, coolant temp being one of them. Low speed and idling is great. These engines tend to be happy at 195 - 205. I've got dual electric fans and a powered AT cooler all moving air through the radiator. However, at sustained highway speed I see temps creep up to 215, sometimes higher. Never has spewed. My theory is I'm building up high pressure under the hood decreasing airflow over the radiator. Years ago I had a modified Datsun S30 Z car and they suffered from the same thing. It wasn't uncommon to see some creative ducting and venting going on.

Have been talking to my builder about raising the rear of the hood to test my theory - figure that's a much better way than cutting holes in the hood. The hood risers are a perfect solution. Just ordered a set and hope to have some positive results to report soon.
In my experience the hood risers work well at trail and city speeds <30mph. Pulling fresh air from a snorkel will always help at any speed.

In my opinion the risers and louvers will not net the same results. The issue I see with your theory and antecdote is that the rear of the hood becomes a high pressure area at highway speeds; whereas the middle of the hood where louvers are placed is not.

In my experience the hood risers work well at trail and city speeds <30mph. Pulling fresh air from a snorkel will always help at any speed.

In my opinion the risers and louvers will not net the same results. The issue I see with your theory and antecdote is that the rear of the hood becomes a high pressure area at highway speeds; whereas the middle of the hood where louvers are placed is not.
Louvers at the rear of the hood then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom