hood tech (paint center-section black) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are a lot of guys out there running this setup. Since my paint is fading right on the center of the hood, I'm considering going with the black look. I don't want to run linex on the hood, just some kind of paint.

So, what works? Where do you get it? Did you do it yourself, or have a pro do it?

Post PICS!

~Bob

I think rattle canning it would be fine. Just tape it off and sand it, then let er rip! I bought my 60 with it, and it's the only decent part of the body :doh:

Mark_climbing_the_ravine_4.jpg

I have many pics, but I think they are people's rigs from this forum. I don't want to offend anyone.

:beer:

Yep, rattle can it with rust-olem flat black.

Remove the hood (easy to do)

Put it on a set of work-horses or lean it up against a tree. Put a drop cloth under the hood. Tape off the center section and use a fine grit sand paper to rough up the area to be painted. Before you rattle can it get a 5 gal bucket and put 2-3 cans of flat black in the bucket. Fill the bucket half way with HOT tap water. Let the cans sit for a while. The hot water heats the propellent and paint and makes the job easier.

Spray your first coat. First coat will be thin. Spray from 10-12" away from the surface at all times. Let it dry. Run a tack cloth over the paint to pick up and 'goobers' and hand sand down any lumps- but there shouldn't be any if you sprayed from a good distance. But, if you're too far away the paint will clump up before it hits the hood and you'll have to do a bunch of finish sanding.

Repeat process until you're happy with the results. Generally takes 3-4 coats on nice flat metal, 4-5 coats on some areas.

clear coat?

would you recommend a clear coat or two following the rattle can process?

Figure out how much you want to paint. I just painted the center raised part and not the cowl. I like it. I wish I had taken the hood off before I got overspray over-everything. I'd say do it... I put three coats of rustoluem "professional" down and I can wash it without it peeling off or anything and it doesn't seem to scratch worse than the other paint.

DO IT

Chris

vtcruiser60 said:
would you recommend a clear coat or two following the rattle can process?

I wouldn't - unless it's a flat clear-coat (do they make a flat or satin clear coat?). The point of painting it black is to cut down on glare. Plus, it's just one more layer to get peeled off by the sun...

timbercruiser said:
Rattle Can!!!!!

Love the Red Green quote. Too bad he's taping his last show this fall!

I painted mine a LONG time ago, partly to cut down on the glare of the roof rack-mounted lights, partly to cover up some crappy faded paint. Liked the look and kept it, even after changing the color of the truck.

I didn't used flat paint, I used Rustoleum Satin Black and just taped the corners carefully and covered the rest of the truck with newspaper, tape, and a tarp. Worked great, and the sun got the Satin Black to the right level.

If you use flat black to start with, the paint will get stained with mud. In fact, I don't use flat black for *anything* on my Cruiser, don't like the look and don't like to wash.
mod1.jpg

isnt satin black the touch up color for the ARB?

Exiled, what front bumper is that?

zcruiser said:
Love the Red Green quote. Too bad he's taping his last show this fall!

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!! Where will I get my wisdom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom