Hood spring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rob Faucett

GOLD Star
Threads
Cruisers - Is there supposed to be a spring somewhere under the hood of my 60 that pushed the hood up so that when I pull the hood latch in the cab the hood is pushed upwards against the top of the latch. So that I can get to the safety level when I walk around to the front of the hood?

TIA.
Best,
Rob

No front spring like some hoods had. Does your 60 have the hood bumpers on the front cross bar? Mine wouldn't 'pop up' after pulling the latch until I added the hood bumpers on the front to give the hood a little tension there when closed. Gives the added benefit of keeping the hood from bouncing around in the wind while driving. My original bumpers were long gone:

IMG_5684.jpg

The combination of the spring on the hinges for lifting the hood and this properly adjusted bumper seem to give the hood some pop up when you let go of the latch. Available here if yours are missing:

HTH

The only springs the hood originally had were coil springs on the support joint. They help a little but won’t lift the hood all by themselves. They’ll definitely lift the hood enough that when you pull the latch, the hood will pop up against the latch for you to get your fingers in there

0C50A844-BCDC-4F9E-85B8-7B621A63AE7C.jpeg

never seen that springed hinge

have 9 BJ60’s and 2 HJ60’s, maybe I never noticed.... or it’s a FJ60 thing?

That pic is from a 1986 USA FJ60. Normally the spring is black like the hinge. Pic shows a nickel plated one (cuz it was rusting)

Mine has the springs on the hinge as well, but those alone did not lift my hood up enough to get my fingers under there after pulling the latch. The combination of having the front of the hood resting on the bumpers and having the springs on the hinge allow my hood to pop up to get my fingers under the front of it. I think my hood without the bumpers sat below the height of the fenders when closed and the springs on mine did not have enough tension to lift the hood up by themselves this way(my springs work but are surface rusted pretty well). After having the hood lifted where it sits by adding the bumpers, the springs would pull the hood up enough to get fingers under there when pulling the latch.

I assumed your hinges had the springs OP. If you don't see the coiled springs like @OSS shows in his picture then you'll need those to get back to a popping hood. HTH.

FJ60’s in the USA definitely have the coil springs as pictured above. There is a mod that installs gas lift shocks instead which both lift and hold the hood.

Cruisers - Is there supposed to be a spring somewhere under the hood of my 60 that pushed the hood up so that when I pull the hood latch in the cab the hood is pushed upwards against the top of the latch. So that I can get to the safety level when I walk around to the front of the hood?

TIA.
Best,
Rob
There is, but it is on the JDM models.
Part nr 90504-29001.

TIA.
Best,
Rob
Aussie 60's definitely have a spring to make the hood pop up a little bit when you pull the release.
It is a coil spring which is located centrally within the hood latch itself, and is about 1/2" diameter and about 2 inches long.
This is NOT the safety lever spring which is on the right hand side of the latch and is much smaller.

Those clock springs located back near the hood hinges are there to help fully raise the hood and have nothing to do with popping the hood up a tad when you pull the release.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom