Hood Risers for heat venting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Outsane

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
solvefunction.com
I made some hood risers to help vent some of the engine bay heat.

IMG_20200727_075839_193.jpg

IMG_20200728_081903_039.jpg

IMG_20200728_081903_041.jpg

This is a nice alternative to cutting holes into your hood. Slots are added so you can install by your self a little easier. Bolts are included.

I have had no issues with the hood latch. Credit to Land Cruiser Phil for the suggestion.

What a simple and effective way to get heat out from under the hood (inexpensive too).

I did some work down in New Orleans in the dead heat of summer a few years back. We drove v6 s-10 chev trucks and used them to survey city streets - slow driving, idling, and load pulling. The direction from the vehicle provider was to simply "pop the hood" to keep the trucks cool. It worked. We just drove around with the hoods on the safety latch feature of the hood latch (not safe for driving at speed).

@YotaTrail yeah that could be done, might be pretty expensive.

I have noticed that my entire engine bay gets wet in the rain before I added the risers from below the engine and from the radiator, so I don't imagine any new issues with the risers.

They can be removed for winter months if you wanted in about ten minutes.

You could find a 1-2in stroke linear actuator for each side. And make a bracket to incorporate it into the hinges. Not something I would ever need to do, just a thought.
71A89D3A-1A4E-44C9-9B10-6E162F7631DE.png

Or whatever bolts hold the hood to the hinge could be replaced with longer bolts with springs to pull the hood down unless pushed up by the actuators.

idk just thinking out loud :meh:

edit: the actuators could just be mounted to the firewall if you did the longer bolt and springs on the hinges.

Last edited:
I thought someone did something similar 10+ years ago and didn’t notice a difference in temperature. I could be wrong though. Did you happen to notice any difference in the intake air temperature sitting in traffic?

What a simple and effective way to get heat out from under the hood (inexpensive too).

I did some work down in New Orleans in the dead heat of summer a few years back. We drove v6 s-10 chev trucks and used them to survey city streets - slow driving, idling, and load pulling. The direction from the vehicle provider was to simply "pop the hood" to keep the trucks cool. It worked. We just drove around with the hoods on the safety latch feature of the hood latch (not safe for driving at speed).

:lol:

I used to wedge rocks under the front of the hood on my old clunker car years ago. Strapped the hood down securely. It kept engine temps cooler on the long grades driving into the desert and the Sierra.

In a previous life I restored an early Datsun 240Z and semi-daily drove it in hot central Texas. The hood on the 240Z opens the opposite of normal, lifting forward, so there was little risk of the hood blowing open when it was on the safety latch only even at highway speeds. On some 105+ degree days I'd be stuck in slow moving traffic on I-35 and see the temperature needle climbing, popping the hood to sit on the safety latch and creating a rear gap just like this had a noticeable impact on the temps.

@Outsane are the stock hood bolts long enough for this? How many threads of engagement are left on the hood side? Is that the thickest you can go? I'm surprised the stock hood bolts would be that long.

@Andrewlnf I love all these first hand memories.

The stock bolts are not long enough for these risers, I made these risers 19mm tall as suggested by @LandCruiserPhil Longer bolts are supplied with purchase for installation.

I can go thicker or thinner, would just need to the appropriate bolts.

I was just thinking about this when my EFI relay overheated. Like others I did this on my 88 Prelude. Thanks for making these!

I was just thinking about this when my EFI relay overheated. Like others I did this on my 88 Prelude. Thanks for making these!

With the pop up headlights and rear steering....

Sweet ride!

When you add these is it a little bit "trickier" to make the hood latch on front? I would think the angle might cause an issue (may be super wrong haha). It's a great idea, you guys make really cool stuff

great idea , but I hope you never get into a front end collision...

Been looking for something like this @Outsane. Ordered and thanks!

Me too, but I dont see how this would have an effect on that.

I guess it would be possible for the hood to come flying to the windshield on a front end collision... the angle on that picture looks way to creepy to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom