Hood question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried to search it but no avail, so here goes:

The :censor: PO of my '78 used pop rivets to attach the centre support on the inside of the hood. Obviously I want to get rid of the rivets (at the same time as I remove the black racing stripe - more about that later). So the question is, how is the brace normally attached to the hood - spot welded?

Will take a photo if not clear enough what I mean.

Thanks.

I am pretty sure it was Glue or you could call it Body sealer it is the same stuff they use for sealing seams in body panels.

I just went out and looked at mine. I was able to slide a piece of paper between the support and the hood for virtually the entire length. There was a small section about 2-2 1/2" long where it looked like there was some sealer but it was detached from the hood. I'm almost certain this is the original hood and it looks like it has never had any paint/bodywork.

My impression is that the center longitudinal brace is to provide support to the center front of the hood from the very rear support member. The sealer is not so much for strength but to prevent the hood from rattling against the brace.

Thanks guys. Mine does have the sealer at the front and rear, so will just drill the pop rivets out and take it from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom