Hood pad/insulator - (underside of hood) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my new to me '87 BJ74 came to me without a hood pad.....When I close the hood it makes a tinny clang that is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

What would be a good way to fix this "problem" I imagine it might reduce the noise a wee bit although with a 3" un-muffled exhaust I don't know that I'll notice the difference.....I also imagine a little insulation would be welcome in cold weather

'87 JDM RHD BJ74 13B-T

Is the sheet metal on the hood loose and hitting the hood frame? If that is the problem you could put some thin rubber spacers in between.
You can still buy the OEM heat insulator part # 53341-60150,but I think it was about $400 last time I asked.

In warmer climates ,not having it often cooks the paintwork.

The support structure of the hood can be reglued back to the skin with windshield adhesive which comes in smaller tubes.

The insulator pad is about $125-$150 US (last time I checked, TLCA discount) BUT must be truck freighted since it is so large. If you can get one from a dealer in driving distance just drive over to pick it up and snap it into place (14 plastic retainers if memory serves me).

Dynamat?

You can still buy the OEM heat insulator part # 53341-60150,but I think it was about $400 last time I asked.

Hello Rosco,

Thank you for the part number. Mine needs replacement and I could not find it.

I was about to try Dynamat.

Juan

Mine is also missing, my bonnet also use to make a racket against the frame and wobble all over the place. I bought a tube of sika flex and pumped it into any gap I could find between the bonnet and frame. Now it closes with a dull thud and is much more rigid.

Would this be the same part # of the hood insulator for the HZJ76 ?

Would this be the same part # of the hood insulator for the HZJ76 ?

According to ToyoDiy, the part is not applicable for your model,they only make one for the V8 diesel which has the intercooler scoop,part# 53341-60310,but Im sure if you could get one of those it would fit

The old ones wont fit on yours as the hood is a different shape(I think)

But there are lots of materials out there that will do the job,like Dynamat.The Toyota hood insulator is only compacted fibre glass insulation(like roof insulation) with some black stuff painted on it

That insulation is also there in case of a fire... It falls down in a fire and helps to put it out. Just FYI. :D

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

That insulation is also there in case of a fire... It falls down in a fire and helps to put it out. Just FYI. :D

-Daniel

Didnt do that when I had an onboard fire in my 73 series.

roscoFJ73 said:
Didnt do that when I had an onboard fire in my 73 series.

Oops. Well that's what the guys at the dealership told me... cause I was thinking about doing the Dyna Matt too.

-Daniel

Oops. Well that's what the guys at the dealership told me... cause I was thinking about doing the Dyna Matt too.

-Daniel

"Believing anyone from a dealership" ..... probably not in your best interest.:)

1978HJ45 said:
"Believing anyone from a dealership" ..... probably not in your best interest.:)

I'll keep that in mind, but the guys my friend and he seemed to know what he was saying. I am really curious to know now even more. :D

-Daniel

According to ToyoDiy, the part is not applicable for your model,they only make one for the V8 diesel which has the intercooler scoop,part# 53341-60310,but Im sure if you could get one of those it would fit

The old ones wont fit on yours as the hood is a different shape(I think)

But there are lots of materials out there that will do the job,like Dynamat.The Toyota hood insulator is only compacted fibre glass insulation(like roof insulation) with some black stuff painted on it

Thanks again roscoFJ73.

Here it is...perfect fit except for that hole where the hood scoop is suppose to be:)

b9636183.jpg

795458ef.jpg

Anyone pulled those plastic clips off?. I want to transfer a good pad from one bonnet to another.Cant see how those clips come off without destroying them.

You didn't get the correct part no when ordering.:rolleyes:
Is that expensive to buy?:confused:

According to the local Toyota parts supervisor which I double checked on toyodiy the hood insulator is only available for the VDJ and none for the HZJ.

Anyone pulled those plastic clips off?. I want to transfer a good pad from one bonnet to another.Cant see how those clips come off without destroying them.

I did! long nose pliers will do a great job in this case.:)
16 pcs came off perfectly.
just flip a bit and apply the pliers.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom