Hood Latch won’t open 1996 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My hood latch on 1996 Toyota Landcruiser will not open. There is tension on latch cable from inside of the car the lock might be rusted shut. Need to get it open any suggestions?? Drill out latch maybe? Can’t see latch thru grille

Have someone push down on the front of the hood to relieve pressure on the latch while you pull the release under the dash. If that doesn't work then you may be able to get at the release lever on the latch from underneath by using some type of hook.

If your hood struts are weak, you can pull the lever, release the latch, but the hood will not “pop up”. Conversely, have someone with fingers under the hood, lifting, while you pull the lever.

My hood latch on 1996 Toyota Landcruiser will not open. There is tension on latch cable from inside of the car the lock might be rusted shut. Need to get it open any suggestions?? Drill out latch maybe? Can’t see latch thru grille

Was able to get under the car and use a screwdriver from underneath in small hole in assembly to release the latch. Tried pushing on cable before it enters assembly to get a release not sure which worked. Lube it really good and cycled it thru a few times. I need to replace the safety latch it is really rusted. Saw a modified hack see below for a pull cable out of grille as an override if cable gets stuck. Nightmare over. New England Rust sucks! LOL. Thanks for the help! Hood Latch stuck cable

Last edited:
Was able to get under the car and use a screwdriver from underneath in small hole in assembly to release the latch. Tried pushing on cable before it enters assembly to get a release not sure which worked. Lube it really good and cycled it thru a few times. I need to replace the safety latch it is really rusted. Saw a modified hack see below for a pull cable out of grille as an override if cable gets stuck. Nightmare over. New England Rust sucks! LOL. Thanks for the help! Hood Latch stuck cable

That is a very neat trick, this was one of the first problems I had when I bought mine. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom