Hood latch Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please tell me what those rubber pads are for on the hood latches? Mine rubbed the paint off. Please don't tell me they have a useful purpose because I removed mine. Just curious.

Thanks

They're, um, hood pads. You need them or you'll rub all the paint off, all the way around. I smear on a little vaseline so the bare metal doesn't rust. There are some rubber pads 2/3rd the way down the sides toward the cowl too. Same problem there.

Could you take the Window latches off and move them to the Hood latch I do not believe they have the Rubber on them but could be wrong.

why not put new rubber on them :confused:

Last edited:
as your rig flexes, you hood shifts sideways. in a good flex, it would get into the hood latch. the rubber helps stabilize and cushion things a bit. pretty sure the rubbers are still available through at least aftermarket vendors, if not oem.

I wouldn't run the truck ANYWHERE without something in there, but I suppose if you have no plans to take it off road, or out when it's wet, you could replace them with felt.

Hood Latch Pads

Thanks for the comments, guys. I suppose I have been "lucky", but when I repainted my Cruiser 3 years ago, I removed those pads because they had worn through my original paint. Since then.... numerous trips on the Rubicon, Dusy/Ershim, and Fordyce Creek trails, and I still have my paint. I have seen the hood really "tweaked" but it has never hit the latch (or at least the latch has not worn off any paint).

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom