Hood alignment issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will a ‘74 hood fit and align properly with a ‘71 cowl? I am having alignment issues.

8CC0AB06-FA64-444F-8D15-A324448F5368.jpeg

Definitely not a hood problem. A '74 hood fits fine on a '71. You need to loosen the tub mounts, undo the connection where the fenders bolt to the tub protect any paint surfaces that might rub with low - adhesion masking tape and start to slowly move things into alignment. I usually start with the back of the tub even with the back of the tub and centered. Then work forward. The twist in the right side apron tells be the fender needs a little attention. How about a couple different angles.

Definitely not a hood problem. A '74 hood fits fine on a '71. You need to loosen the tub mounts, undo the connection where the fenders bolt to the tub protect any pain surfaces that might rub with low - adhesion masking tape and start to slowly move things into alignment. I usually start with the back of the tub even with the back of the tub and centered. Then work forward

do you happen to have or know someone who has a radiator grill screen?

do you happen to have or know someone who has a radiator grill screen?
Not off the top of my head, but you can check the classifieds in For Sale, and/or put an ad in the Wanted section.

Yes they are compatible. If the hood is forward of front bib then the body is too low in front. Take out the body mount bolts except the ones in the very back. Then use blocks & jacks Under the front floors to raise the front of the body until it aligns. There’s also some wiggle room in the fenders to tilt up/down/right/left. Check that all the panel gaps are even, then button it up.

If you follow the steps I mentioned, make sure your steering column doesn’t get in a bind when you raise the body.

Have you loosened the body mounts and thrown some spacers under the cowl mounts. As previously mentioned, when the hood is proud of the bib the cowl is too low. Have you measured off the frame to outside of the tub along both sides to be sure the tub is reasonably centered on the frame?

See how that panel gap gets wider from the hinge to the corner? Your body tub is too low in front. (or too high in back)
2EB92530-F29B-4209-AD4A-0B08338D66BA.jpeg

Install the front bib hinge and loose the fenders support on the frame ,it will help you to know how the body is off or fenders height
Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming if you have them. This is very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom