Hood adjustment finally fixed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw a couple threads about people trying to adjust their hood but no one had any real success. Yesterday I finally figured out why the hood latches don't want to move for adjustment. The main issue is the small support in the center that goes from the latch down to the core support 1- has to be completely removed, and 2- the mounting holes in it have to be enlarged before putting it back on the vehicle. Without doing step 2 you will get ZERO adjustment of the hood latch because it will only fit with the latch in its highest position. I used a stepped drill bit and ended up stopping at the 3/8" hole size, this was just big enough to be put back on with the latch at it's lowest point. I don't have pictures of how large the holes in the bracket are but I did take a picture showing the factory holes for the latch are in-fact slotted for adjustment, unfortunately there is no way to take advantage of this adjustability till the holes in the support bracket are modified.

One other trick is the 2 mounting bolts and 1 mounting nut for the latch may need to be loosed quite a bit. My latch must have had dirt/sand stuck in the slotted area because it didn't want to move till the nut was completely removed and the 2 bolts were loosened 4-5 turns. My hood now has zero play in it when pulling up on the front edge and no longer looks like it is going to flip open on the highway.
B6D3D257-E6FB-4CCE-85D6-B46E7D5C3BB7.jpeg

My hood now has zero play in it when pulling up on the front edge and no longer looks like it is going to flip open on the highway.
You may have just solved a 2yr long annoyance that I've been suffering from. I had my hood (and pass fender) replaced after a collision and the hood has never had the same fit as OEM. The corners always seem to bounce too much at highway speeds even though I have adjusted those rubber stoppers as far as they can go. I have since kicked it to the back burner. When I get back in town this weekend I may try your solution and hope it works. Thanks for sharing!

You may have just solved a 2yr long annoyance that I've been suffering from. I had my hood (and pass fender) replaced after a collision and the hood has never had the same fit as OEM. The corners always seem to bounce too much at highway speeds even though I have adjusted those rubber stoppers as far as they can go. I have since kicked it to the back burner. When I get back in town this weekend I may try your solution and hope it works. Thanks for sharing!
I hope it works for you, I was very happy with how tight the hood fits now. You will probably need to screw in the rubber stoppers before closing the hood for the first time because if they are out too far they will cause alignment problems.

Thank you - that fixed my hood, which has been bugging me for a long time.

Glad this fix is working out for other people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom