Honey Badger build while dd (not dd anymore) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had the "Honey Badger" for over a decade and never started a build thread. By the time I found this site, there was just so much to soak in. I also didn't have many tools or knowledge that would even steer anyone in the right direction (except for, "buy a Land Cruiser".)
I bought this rig before I new about the forums. I owned an '81 FJ60 for 5 or 6 years before the Honey Badger. The carburetor and manual 4spd was alright but There were so many other issues that were going on at the time, (mostly a 20 something's lack of money.) Even trading up to the FJ62, I was relying mostly on Toyota Land Cruiser durability and reliability because of funding, time, and "if it starts, than nothing's wrong" mentality. It's apparent that the vehicle had some "hack job" body and paint done. Thepaint job was horrible, but covered up the shoddy body work well enough that I'm just now starting to tackle it. (This is obviously something I should have prioritized earlier, and then the time and effortinto it now may have been reduced. The dent in the driver's rear corner was my doing, and I wish my body skills were better than they currently are. The price I paid for this rig 10 years ago with 153,000 miles has already given me my money's worth. Right now (1/13/19) she has 277,000 miles. There is a back log of things I've done to baseline and keep her on the road the past 10 years.
-Changing fluids
-Rodney flush the transmission
-Run a new power source to the relay in driver's side rear quarter panel
-New wheels and tires
-New used dash cap
-bought a parts truck for the lift and exhaust system (I also kept an assortment of parts but I can't believe how much stuff I left when I sold it to salvage)
-Yakima/Thule roof rack
-Took care of power steering house leak
-patch panel in DS rear door
-replaced head gasket
-replaced cracked head
-carpet kit from dnp (installing winter of '19)
-rear bumper from fourrunner (installing winter of '19)

Last edited:
20190113_120125.jpg
20190113_144541_HDR.jpg
20190113_120102.jpg
20190113_120118_HDR.jpg

20190113_170745.jpg

Way to get after it. How do you like the HF welder?

It seems to work great! I've only used a Miller in the past. The hardest part I have found about welding is being able to see. If its cold, you can't breathe in your helmet. Instead of paying someone an obscene amount of money to work on my car, I could buy a welder and fix the body, as well as all the other projects that the Honey Badger needs.

Nice work! What wheels are those?

Nicely done dude!! I am in the exact same boat as you, or at least were.
How are you liking that Vulcan 220 welder?
It's been working well. I've only done sheet metal for the car and some square tubing for some work projects. I just ordered an extension cord to plug into 220 for the fourrunner bumper kit. Your build has been inspiring. It's tough to work on the car you drive all the time. Today was day 3 of this phase of work and it snowed last night.

Last edited:
20190114_141337_HDR.jpg
20190114_173636.jpg
20190114_115326_HDR.jpg
20190114_120639_HDR.jpg
20190114_120639_HDR.jpg
There was at least a hundred feet of wires just hanging out. Clipped ends, hanging in the B-pillar, dangling from other "useful wires" with electrical tape and zip ties. And there is still some left.

It's hard to stay focused. I'm working on the carpet and all of this interior stuff. All of a sudden the rusty A-pillar door jam has to get treated. Bust out the grinder, rust reformer, and go to town. Holes in the gutter from whoever mounted some sort of antennas, ran a mile of wire throughout the truck, and then I realize I better work on the carpet if I want to get this done before I leave for much next work trip.

@Bike n Board Cruiser excellent work you got going there. It’s great to see you preserving the truck to make it last another 30 years.

I am in a similar predicament where I’ve baselined many items, but want to get the truck out of the rust zone. My dad has a Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 100 sitting around that I can use for the welding. Problem is that I don’t know how to weld yet.

I’ll be following along to see how you progress.

What are the seats out of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom