Honest/trustworthy car dealers in Austin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chupacabra
Threads
Could anyone recommend a decent car dealer in Austin?

My young nephew and his wife and their baby recently moved to Austin to work for Google, and their only car (an old Subaru) lunched a timing belt and it took out a couple of cylinders with it; not worth fixing. They're not car people or mechanically savvy, so I'm looking for somewhere to send them to shop for a used car where they won't be screwed or taken advantage of. They're not thinking of any particular make; my own inclination would be to steer them towards Toyota, Honda, and maybe even another Subaru.

Any and all advice appreciated, thanks!

I just messaged you. I'm at Charles Maund Toyota

I used Covert Ford on Research and First Texas Honda before, I was happy with both. I would NOT use Charles Maund Toyota, they did a bait n switch on me.

I used Covert Ford on Research and First Texas Honda before, I was happy with both. I would NOT use Charles Maund Toyota, they did a bait n switch on me.
With all due respect your experience with one person doesn't represent all. If we really want to discuss bait and switch you should lool at Ford, Chevy, and Dodge pricing. They all advertise like they are willing to take 30% off their cars until you come in and they start the process of why you can't get that discount you see on their website. My two cents of my short employment period at ford as their internet manager.... I left quickly afterwards.

With all due respect your experience with one person doesn't represent all. If we really want to discuss bait and switch you should lool at Ford, Chevy, and Dodge pricing. They all advertise like they are willing to take 30% off their cars until you come in and they start the process of why you can't get that discount you see on their website. My two cents of my short employment period at ford as their internet manager.... I left quickly afterwards.

My recent and only experience with Charles Maund service was beyond awful. I don't recommend them anymore to anyone for anything. My dad just bought a new T4R TRD Pro. Was going to by from Maund, but my experience led him to another dealer for the purchase. Happy to discuss the debacle that occurred when they replaced my steering rack a few months ago. Didn't put coolant back in and I overheated my 2UZ. By the grace of God, my engine wasn't destroyed. But, the explanation from service as to where the coolant went was, well, beyond belief. I still drive like I'm walking on eggshells hoping something long-term wasn't impacted by the oversight....like driving with the sword of Damacles hanging over my head. My truck has never let me down and only ever got towed once.....thanks to Maund failing to put coolant back in my rig. Still sour over that.

For reference, here is the thread I started in January. As you'll understand, I can't with any good conscience recommend Maund in any capacity: Overheat....UPDATED...file claimed with TUSA.

Anyway, for used cars, I would look at Nyle Maxwell. Just know that pretty much all dealers are going to be similar in terms of their sales strategies (commission or not). Best to have financing secured thru a local CU or bank and then shop with that in hand. The dealers will ALL try and sell you on their financing. There's nothing wrong with that. Heck, you might get a better rate from them. But, negotiate on the price of the car FIRST and ONLY. Don't let the "finance" guy break out the grid and explain monthly payments, etc. You'll get hosed faster than you can spin your head.

Last edited:
Can’t help with the dealers other than a friend having a horrific experience at Charles Maund VW. Not sure how much of that carries over.

But, RBFCU is amazing for financing. I’ve flat out broken a few dealer finance guys hearts by sharing the rates they give me as they are trying to bait me into their BS.

First, you work there so you are biased.

Second, many times it is just 1 person you interact with and that formulates your experience an opinion. Maybe there are good people there, I dunno. I am apparently not the only one who has had bad experiences with Maund. I have no doubt other dealers use similar techniques like bait n switch, and they fall into the untrustworthy dealer who you do not want to conduct business with. We are simply answering the OPs question though.

Can’t help with the dealers other than a friend having a horrific experience at Charles Maund VW. Not sure how much of that carries over.

But, RBFCU is amazing for financing. I’ve flat out broken a few dealer finance guys hearts by sharing the rates they give me as they are trying to bait me into their BS.
Yup my wife banks at RBFCU and her car buying experience has been awesome due to it. Makes it easy going into dealership knowing you won't need to listen to the selling scam of "What do you need your payment to be?".

Thanks guys, appreciate all the advice. Nephew and his wife have identified four vehicles to go look at.

Bought a used VW at the Hewlett dealership in Georgetown in 2012ish. That worked out fine. Went out on a limb and bought a used Subaru at one of those mom and pop dealerships over on North Loop, called R&D in 2018. That went really well as I was always really wary of those types of dealerships. Didn't finance either purchase, so can't really speak to that aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom