Builds Homer's 2003 GX470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You will love them

Got the new shoes installed. I went for a quick freeway ride and I didn't notice any more noise than the previous shoes.

Nitto Ridge Grapplers
LT285/70R17 E/10s
$748 on TireBuyer with discounts
Add California tax $79.89 and $52 balance/install
Add 4-wheel alignment

You will notice that the new alignment specs show that my toe was out of spec and possibly contributed to my uneven wear of the front tires. I posted prior and current alignment specs which show my alignment moves when I offroad! LOL

Nitto_Side_04.jpg

Nitto_Front_02.jpg

Nitto_Front_03.jpg

Alignment_01.jpg

Nitto_Alignment_01.jpg

I went outside to look for the manufacturing stamp and I think, but not sure it's the one that says H8X4518 where the 45 is the week and the 18 is the year 2018. I'm not really sure if that's the one since all 4 tires have the same stamp and I can't find any other stamp that has that week and year combination.

Anyways, I did notice that these tires are MADE in the USA. I didn't check that before, but that was cool to see.
Nitto_Mfg_05.jpg

Last edited:
I went outside to look for the manufacturing stamp and I think, but not sure it's the one that says H8X4518 where the 45 is the week and the 18 is the year 2018. I'm not really sure if that's the one since all 4 tires have the same stamp and I can't find any other stamp that has that week and year combination.

Yes, you are reading the date codes correctly.

Prepare to love those tires

Cut my mud flaps in anticipation of loving these tires offroad...just got a sharp knife and went to town. I can't wait for my next offroad adventure to try these tires.

MudFlap_Trim_01.jpg
MudFlap_Trim_02.jpg

Last edited:
No, i haven’t spent time trying to figure out how to fit the Rocksteady transfer case skid plate bracket over the OPOR/MT rock slider bracket.

Last edited:
Recovery_SoftShackle_01.jpg
Recovery_SoftShackle_02.jpg
Recovery_SoftShackle_03.jpg
Got some soft shackles ($15 each on Amazon; rated up to 30K lbs) to attach to the tie down points and use a 10 foot strap as a bridle for emergency extraction, but it doesn't look that safe on my 2003. Those tie down points are on the bottom of the horns that attach to a weak part of the frame. Not feeling real confident to use these tie down points...

I'm also testing out my new jack adaptor from LandCruiserPhil. It works great in the rear axle using the stock oem jack. Not so good under the front LCA. Stores nicely in the stock jack storage location. I need to find a wider base to use in sand or soft dirt.

I'm hoping to get out to Joshua Tree on MLK Day since I have it off this year. Test out my new tires too.
Recovery_JackFrontLCA_01.jpg
Recovery_JackFrontLCA_02.jpg
Recovery_JackRearAxle_01.jpg
Recovery_JackStorage_01.jpg

Camped at Indian Cove to see the Super Blood Wolf Moon, went on a hike at Barker Dam, and then went onto rocky Berdoo Canyon Road. The GX470 did great with the new tires. I went up and down the toughest part of Berdoo Canyon twice without any wheel slips or clearance issues.

Moon details...
Super = when the moon is closest to the earth and it looks big.
Blood = when there's an eclipse and the earth's redness reflects onto the moon.
Wolf = January moon that makes the wolves howl

JT_Berdoo_01.jpg
JT_Berdoo_02.jpg
JT_Berdoo_03.jpg
JT_Berdoo_04.jpg
JT_Berdoo_05.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribed..

This is making me want this vehicle more and more. I've been researching between the 470/Yukon Denali & Sequoia.. I'm 6ft my wife is 5ft but my 6 year old daughter is almost her mother's height & my 3 year old daughter is about half of my 6 year olds height ! I want the captains chair for road trips but then again this Lexus is just so luxurious plus the off road capability I keep forgetting the 3rd row doesn't have much leg room, at least that's what I keep reading...

This build is great by the way thx for posting.🍿

I just realized that my skid plate attaches to the cross bar where the tie down loops are welded to. I wonder how much reinforcement the skid plate provides to the cross bar?

This makes me feel a little better about using the tie down loops as recovery points. In Wafra's video where the cross bar detached and ripped through the front of the Prado, you will notice that the tie downs held up. The weak link was the horns that hold up the cross bar.

In my case, the cross bar is attached and held up by the skid plate. This provides additional support.

I still want to add Apex recovery points since they also attach to the frame and the cross bar. They provide additional reinforcement as well to those horns that hold up the cross bar. It's too bad Apex doesn't stock them. I've been watching for a few months and it's always out of stock.

Recovery_SoftShackle_01.jpg

Those are strong as long as you use the bridle and pull straight forward. Side vectoring off those is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Just ordered the apex overland recovery points to strengthen those horns and be recoverable

E0AAD5FA-669E-476D-90B2-B31BC810FE48.png

don't get stuck! I haven't used those in 9 years lol

True dat! I don’t have lockers nor a winch, so I have a higher probability of getting stuck and needing those recovery points to be extracted.

At least I’ll have peace of mind that my recovery points and tie down loops are solidly attached to frame

I'm looking for stock oem roof rack cross bars...anyone wants to get rid of them for a small fee or donate them? I posted more details in the classified parts section

Local pickup preferably in the Los Angeles or Orange County areas of So Cal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom