Builds Homer's 2003 GX470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taco Tabs are in.

Cornfed 3/4” rear coil spacer on driver side is in.

ARB 10mm (3/8”) trim packer is on the passenger side.

These spacers to see if it helps fix 1/4” driver lean and lift me abou 1/2” taller in the rear to about 23” hub to fender.

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3196.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3201.jpeg

Last edited:
Never really wanted to be an overlander with bat awnings, roof rack, drawers, nor RTT.

However, as I get older….I’m getting tired of loading and unloading my gear from boxes! Lol

I’m going to think hard about converting my cargo area (no seats) to a micro camper with side shelves (no drawers) and a big sleeping area.

Like this guy Xplorer Steve DIY on YouTube did his 4Runner as an urban lander!

Oh getting ready to hit the trails this weekend!

IMG_5428.jpeg

Last edited:
Never really wanted to be an overlander with bat awnings, roof rack, drawers, nor RTT.

However, as I get older….I’m getting tired of loading and unloading my gear from boxes! Lol

I’m going to think hard about converting my cargo area (no seats) to a micro camper with side shelves (no drawers) and a big sleeping area.

Like this guy Xplorer Steve DIY on YouTube did his 4Runner as an urban lander!

Oh getting ready to hit the trails this weekend!

View attachment 3379862
I have a trailer if you want to sell an organ to buy it lol.

Im back from a quick trip to Big Bear.

Food was good. Lots of GX470s out there…counted at least 6. Lots of nice ones.

Fun video…

IMG_5500.jpeg

IMG_5498.jpeg

IMG_5463.jpeg

IMG_5465.jpeg

IMG_5471.jpeg

Went star gazing at Joshua Tree NP for the Perseid meteor shower. Saw a bunch of shooting stars on Friday night 8/11

A friends photo since my iPhone couldn’t see in the dark. Camped overnight in the overflow camping area near the south entrance.

Resized_Resized_mmexport1691981878620.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

IMG_5614.jpeg

IMG_5611.jpeg

IMG_5609.jpeg

Last edited:
Cross travel index measurements with home made 12.25” ramps.

The ICON 56550 rear shocks are a hair too big for my 2” rear lift. They really need a 3” rear lift.

I either buy the shorter ICON 56510 (15.6”/25.7”) or get taller springs like the C59-701V

IMG_5731.jpeg

IMG_5726.jpeg

IMG_5724.jpeg

IMG_5723.jpeg

IMG_5721.jpeg

Last edited:
I am running Dobinsons LC80 4" lift shock. It's 26.5" extended and 16.5" collapsed. Use 1.75" bumpstop extension. Good compromised dimensions to be able to keep my KDSS intact after relocating rear KDSS bar up 3.5". No fuel tank rub too.
Also running 701V and it sits at 24.25" hub to bottom to fender.
Screenshot_20230217_102703_Excel (1).jpg

Last edited:
I am running Dobinsons LC80 4" lift shock. It's 26.5" extended and 16.5" collapsed. Use 1.75" bumpstop extension. Good compromised dimensions to be able to keep my KDSS intact after relocating rear KDSS bar up 3.5". No fuel tank rub too.
Also running 701V and it sits at 24.25" hub to bottom to fender.
View attachment 3412319
That’s great that you were able to get long travel with KDSS. I didn’t know it could be done. I don’t have KDSS, but great to know.

Did the 80-series rear shocks require a new eyelet bushing to fit the GX470? I’m not sure if both the 80-series and the GX470 use the same 3/4” hour glass bushing or they are different.

And I like you shock travel graph. I wrote mine on paper but yours is better. And I’m assuming those are in mm’s but my head thinks in inches!

IMG_5747.jpeg

Last edited:
The upper bushing comes in 3 different size and one fits with no modification to the GX. The bottom is hourglass bushing instead of GX that have metal insert. But it would bolt up with no modification.

I’ll throw out some of my cross travel index measurements in case this helps someone

Ramps were 12.25” high but my cement block broke out n half when I was up the ramp at like 11.5”, so I stopped the climb when the block crumpled.

I measured both tires on ramp and they were a good 11.5” off the ground. Maybe 11.6”

Timbren bumpstop 5” in the compressed rear passenger side was 4.5” long with about a 0.5” compression. It has 1.75” compression to go for rubber to fully compress.

Rear passenger tire is about 2.25” from the top of the inside wheel well. So it seems like the timbren bumpstop will prevent the tire from hitting the top of the inside wheel well.

Rear passenger ICON 57550 measured 17.25” from middle of eye to the top of the shock body where the stem begins. These shocks can only compress to 17” so I’m in danger here. Need shorter shocks or a 1” hockey puck spacer on bumpstop.

The rear driver side shock was extended to 26” from middle of eye to top of the shock body.

Rear driver OCD sway bar end links extended 1” had more room to go without binding or touching any other part.

Rear driver tire is 17.25” from the top of the inside wheel well. And it has more room to droop.

So, this is how I’m figuring out that I need taller coils or shorter shocks.

I’m on 285/70R17 tires on 17x9 -12 rims. The front is 2.2” lifted in Bilstein HD 6112s and no front sway bar.

Removed the rear window windshield wiper arm and motor….used a plug from Amazon to cover the hole. It’s the 46mm one

Rear Wiper Delete Kit Car Waterproof Block Off Plug Cap for Rear Tailgate Wiper Arm (46mm(1.81")) https://a.co/d/bJKkI2O

IMG_5751.jpeg
IMG_5750.jpeg
IMG_5752.jpeg

Last edited:
I was bored again and decided to wire some small amber light bars.

I had leftover parts from other projects that required wiring like heat-soldering connectors, an auxbeam fog lights wiring harness, and extra waterproof wire connectors.

Anyways, I bolted some amazon Amber 7” led light bars to the stock bumper. I drilled holes into the plastic factory bumper and used the provided hardware (bolts, washers, nuts) to bolt the lights in.

It’s not super intense, but should help in foggy and dusty conditions.

IMG_5903.jpeg

IMG_5900.jpeg

IMG_5891.jpeg

IMG_5889.jpeg

IMG_5896.jpeg

Here are the main parts

IMG_5906.jpeg

IMG_5907.jpeg

IMG_5902.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great! OEM fods are kind of weak so good to supplement them.

Looks great! OEM fods are kind of weak so good to supplement them.
Yeah…and I wired them independently so I could turn on only the yellow fog lights without the headlights when driving in a campsite at night.

I’m just not liking my diy wiring for the fog lights and ditch lights. It works perfectly fine, but I see too many wires in the engine bay….maybe I’ll think of another diy project to clean up the wires

In the meantime, more small projects to keep me busy.

Thermostat, gasket, cap, and diff lock switch to dream of lockers!

IMG_5912.jpeg

Yeah…and I wired them independently so I could turn on only the yellow fog lights without the headlights when driving in a campsite at night.

I’m just not liking my diy wiring for the fog lights and ditch lights. It works perfectly fine, but I see too many wires in the engine bay….maybe I’ll think of another diy project to clean up the wires
I need to do the same, mine is kind of messy too. Bought one of these to mount relays/bus bars/etc under the hood, then clean things up with better wire routing and plastic looms. It's probably a few months off though as Mrs. Rednexus has indicated I've been wrenching too much lately.

Thanks for the link. I’ll take a look. And I know what you mean. I seem to research heavy and wrench light compared to your projects!
I need to do the same, mine is kind of messy too. Bought one of these to mount relays/bus bars/etc under the hood, then clean things up with better wire routing and plastic looms. It's probably a few months off though as Mrs. Rednexus has indicated I've been wrenching too much lately.

In the meantime, more small projects to keep me busy.

Thermostat, gasket, cap, and diff lock switch to dream of lockers!

View attachment 3423592
The Toyota landcruiser diff lock switch didn’t fit on my 2003 GX470. There’s a darn metal bracket inside blocking the switch from going in fully in that square blank switch location.

Replaced the clear Auxbeam lenses with the amber ones that came with the kit….to match the bumper amber LEDs…getting ready for a trip to Monache Meadows and the darkness of Inyo County.

IMG_6064.jpeg

IMG_6065.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom