Homemade Roof Rack w/ Groucho's Gutter Mounts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rack is 7'x4' with 6" sides. Frame was 2" angle at 3/16" thickness. Load bars to clamps are 1"x2" box steel 3/16" thickness. One piece of 2" flat bar that ran down the middle of the rack running the length of the vehicle. Floor is 3/4" 9 gauge expanded metal. Sides and top rail are 1/2" round bar. It is heavy and overkill but that's the way I like it. When I need storage room, I want to make sure I have it. Groucho's clamps are nice! I am sure they are some of the nicest available, if not the nicest. The ride is also more plush with the extra weight. Enjoy! :cheers:
IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

Nice! I have been tossing the idea around of making a rack after the bumpers. How much does the final product weight?

Very stout and very :cool:

Q? on the gutter mounts, do you have them as low as you can go with them? I want to get some but I want to make sure they will sit nice and low/close to the top of the vehicle? TIA!

Yes, the clamps are bottomed out. It is just enough clearance that it will not interfere with the sunroof when it is tilted up. I do not know the weight of it. But it has to be 150 to 200 lbs. It was all me and my father could do to lift it up and get it on top of the vehicle. Needless to say that it is going to stay on there for awhile, if it ever comes off at all. I don't have a scale or any other way of calculating the weight. I guess one could find out how much a stick of each piece of steel used weighs and then multiply the weight per foot by how many feet I used and total the sums up to find the total mass.

That's heavy, but it looks great!!

Nice job!! :beer:

Where do you get groucho gutter mounts? I have a 2006 sprinter high roof- looking for some pretty specific mounts that I have seen been called groucho- but cant find a way to buy them. Any suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom