Homemade Hardtop Hoist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I was going to make a hardtop hoist in my garage for my 40 and thought I'd ask if anyone has any ideas on how to do it or could share there experience in doing this, good or bad. Thanks for the help.

I used ratchet straps, not ideal but it allows me to take it on and off by myself. Not very quick system either.

Here is what I made.
I went shopping at Home Depot and Harbor freight.
Home Depot list:
1. One piece of unistrut (10 or 12 Ft)
2. Hardware to bolt unistut together
3. (3) 3" x 1/2' eyebolts (the shorter the better....so the top will be closer to the ceiling.)
4. (3) 24" x 1/2" all thread bolts ( to make big sturdy hooks to lift top)

Harbor Freight
1. Worm drive boat winch
2. (2) small sheaves/pulleys (to guide the cable through. Make sure they can handle the weight you are lifting.)

Cut and make the Unistrut into a Tee shape.
Bend 1/2 all thread bolts and pad for hangers and insert into unistrut.
Mount eye bolt on unistrut and slide it back and forth to find balance point after top is removed.
Mount sheave/pulley on ceiling.
Mount sheave/pulley on wall at ceiling.
Mount worm gear boat winch on wall.

20140629_185656 (1).jpg
20140629_185748.jpg
20140629_190917.jpg

I mounted the the 1/2"eye bolts using (2) 1/2" nut and (2) 1/2" fender washers and sandwiched the two boards. I mounted the boards using 3" deck screws, screwed across 3 ceiling joists.

I did not use a lag eye bolt because I do not believe it will hold over time.
20160403_164420.jpg
20160403_164208.jpg
20160403_164243.jpg

ATV winch sounds like a great idea, especially the price.
I like my worm gear boat winch. It is slow and holds the load, even when I let go of the handle. But yes it is a manual operation as oppose to pushing a button. May be when Ill get a little older Ill up grade to electric winch.:hillbilly:

Racor PHL-1R Pro HeavyLift 4-by-4-Foot Cable-Lifted Storage Rack

Ditch the cables as it is hard to keep it tight on the rotating spindle. Changed to high strength 3/8 rope like spectra or dyneem and tie on utilty hooks from home depot/lowes. Works well, one man job on and off.

20141206_141618.jpg

I love these ideas. I have heard of hard tops bending when lifting with hooks or small straps or rope. I would like to come up with a system for outside since we use our small garage so much in the summer. But I probably won't get to building it this year.

Here is what I did last summer and it worked well. 2x4's for rigidity and spreading the weight of the ratchet strap hooks. It allowed me to raise it off myself. If I could just come up with a way to protect the hard top from getting scratched from roll bar bolts.

image.jpeg

Ditch the cables as it is hard to keep it tight on the rotating spindle. Changed to high strength 3/8 rope like spectra or dyneem and tie on utilty hooks from home depot/lowes.

Now that is a good idea, I'm going to have to do that. My wire cables don't wind on evenly and the top ends up not level when dropping it back on.

I mounted the the 1/2"eye bolts using (2) 1/2" nut and (2) 1/2" fender washers and sandwiched the two boards. I mounted the boards using 3" deck screws, screwed across 3 ceiling joists.

I did not use a lag eye bolt because I do not believe it will hold over time.
View attachment 1235929 View attachment 1235930 View attachment 1235933
I know this is an old thread but curious how this homemade system is holding up? The Racor system is currently pushing $700 and that is ridiculous. I bought the 440# rated electric hoist from HF and mounted it in the attic. I cut a hole in the drywall and fed the double cable through. How did you bolt the unistrut together at the "T". To me that seems like the only weak point in this system. Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

I know this is an old thread but curious how this homemade system is holding up? The Racor system is currently pushing $700 and that is ridiculous. I bought the 440# rated electric hoist from HF and mounted it in the attic. I cut a hole in the drywall and fed the double cable through. How did you bolt the unistrut together at the "T". To me that seems like the only weak point in this system. Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

This is the third time I have mounted my hoist system since I first built it. I keep taking it with me everytime I move.
The only problem I having is that my current
IMG-7965.jpg
IMG-7967.jpg
IMG-7968.jpg
IMG-7969.jpg
garage ceiling height is about 8 feet and it is a tad too low.
I need to try and flush mount my rigging on the ceiling so that gain a few precious inches. A smaller block from the ceiling would help.
Here it is as of this afternoon.

This is the third time I have mounted my hoist system since I first built it. I keep taking it with me everytime I move.
The only problem I having is that my current View attachment 2728426View attachment 2728427View attachment 2728428View attachment 2728434garage ceiling height is about 8 feet and it is a tad too low.
I need to try and flush mount my rigging on the ceiling so that gain a few precious inches. A smaller block from the ceiling would help.
Here it is as of this afternoon.

An ingenious solution! Thanks for the details and building list.

I may have to make one like it; due to a variety of circumstances, I left my Racor hoist in my last shop. It wouldn't mount well in my current shop or garage anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom