Homemade Bumper Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It seems like everyone knows how to weld and drop engines in but me. WTF? Pretty cool though. :D

1/4" brackets :eek: that's gonna be a stout bumper!

Looks excellent, very similar to my homemade bumper. Holy crap thats thick metal, (1/4" looks like). Bet it weighs 100lbs? Nice job...

Cheers

You ought to tuck it up closer to the body. Hack the rear crossmember out and weld a square stock across the two frame members to reinforce.

But, it looks really sweet, and stout as hell.

Keep it up.

I think you made this one with enough cowbell. I feel sorry for the guy that rear-ends you.

the bottom of the wings are 1/4" (tacked on pieces)
the rear member and wing side plates are 6" c channel (3/16)
the rear angle pices that bolt to the frame are 1/2"
the top of bumper (seen on ground in 1st pic) is 3/16"
the rearmost frame brackets are 1/4" angle
the frame bracket to wing side plate outriggers are 3/8" (thanks for the idea slee)

i dont want a perm tire carrier so im going to weld my spindle to a plate that bolts to the back of the right wing (see the pic w the spindle) so that my carrier can be removed without leaving a phalic gesture on my bumper

i will basicly copy slee's bolt on hitch-already baught the piece-i dont know if i will bother with the extra brackets that go to rearmost bolt holes where the normal reciever goes-but if slee thinks so for his- i better

welding it up with a millermatic 175 w 25%co2/argon

any helps/ideas/crude critiques welcome

What are you cutting the steel with?

Looks great so far.

i thought about bobbing the frame but just couldn't get the guts to do it

you will notice in the 3rd pic down there is a pice of c channel with a bolt through it. i plan on using these one of these sandwhich clamps on each frame rail to help hold the rear most frame bracket securely to the frame. i didn't want to drill through the frame so the drivers side bracket only has the one bolt through the bottom which i am sure is plenty but just to make sure. i dont know if i will be able to weld on the clamps as i believe i wont be able to take the bracket off if the clamp is a permanent fixure---so the clamp may have to serve as a tight clamp only without a weld

i drilled the passenger front bracket to accept the muffler silencer bracket like Cristo so support isn't much of an issue on the passenger side

cutting my steel with a chop saw from harbor freight and a 4 1/2 grinder from the same cheap store. the chop saw does 90+% of cuts. i take the deck clamp hardware off the chop saw and use it like a table saw--works fast but is not safe--so i wear lots of protection--welding gloves, full face mask. those "made in russia" cutting disks from harbor freight are cheap and top notch-i like them over more expensive brands--but am sure to wear a mask when cutting-who knows what is in those russian disks

Looks home made to me......... :grinpimp: :grinpimp:

Nice work. How much does it weigh?

Before you get too far in be sure to carefully open the tailgate and make sure it clears when it's down...;)

Right on. Making stuff is the best. The only downside is I always seem to want to buy another tool to be able to make stuff better, more accurate and easier...and then a much larger garage to put it all into.

Now go drink that beer :D

P.S. You might want to incorporate back-up lights recessed into the bumper to prevent damage etc. That's about my only 'nit' with my Slee...although Christo probably has a perfect explanation why he didn't allow for them in his design.

Holes cut in the bumper reduce the strength. That is why he did not do it, particularly on the RH side where the tire carrier spindle mounts.

ahh it can be done you just have to add a support brace. the best way to do it with out losing any strength is to cut the hole slightly larger then what you want, then find pipe the size of the light you want weld it in the hole and it gives you a perfect cut hole with the added strength.

It looks good and stout.I think it will weigh more than the one I am working on.

Dusty said:
i dont want a perm tire carrier so im going to weld my spindle to a plate that bolts to the back of the right wing (see the pic w the spindle) so that my carrier can be removed without leaving a phalic gesture on my bumper

what carrier spindle/hub are you using? it doesn't look like a slee to me.

you may want to reconsider using something OTHER than a slee. the rockstomper spindles are junk and break. same for trailer spindle shafts.

the slee spindle is machined from a solid piece of hardened steel. it's NOT cast.

i have one for my bumper. it's NICE and HUGE.

be careful. if your spindle breaks off going down the interstate and the spare meets someone in an opposing lane head-on, then you will be personally responsible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom