Homelink Retrofit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CycloSteve

SILVER Star
Threads
Several of our family vehicles have the Homelink system (Audi and Porsche) and they work really well and have three buttons. In my 80, I have had to carry around several remotes, and that got me thinking....could Homelink be retrofitted easily? I did see the Gentex mirrors here on Mud, but did not want to go that route.

My idea was to retrofit a Homelink system out of a 2004 Audi A4, as the buttons would fit perfectly in the overhead console, or elsewhere in the vehicle such as on the side of the center console or shift console. The transmitter module would be either mounted inside, or in the engine compartment.

It helped that I had a spare transmitter module and wiring harness from my son's car after he crunched the front end. I purchased a visor on eBay for $30, and removed the Homelink Button and wiring from there too. Currently I have verified the wiring and programmed the transmitter while testing on the bench. I also had the light setup for a non-moonroof Cruiser that came with my Subtank many years ago, so will be using that, and can easily return the OH console to factory setup for the moon roof.

Pics of the different OH console light panels, and the buttons. Need to cut the hole in the panel for the Homelink Button, and tap into a few wires for power and ground. Will post more as the project progresses.

Non-US Non-Moonroof Light Assembly - with Homelink Button below

OH Light No Moonroof.jpg

US Moonroof Light Assembly

OH Light With Moonroof.jpg

A short time with the Dremel, and the buttons have been fitted. The buttons click in firmly, as they have metal clips for that exact purpose. Have also ordered a black one to see if I like that better. The grey color is a close match, though, and would likely also look fine with the Oak colored 80 interiors.

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

Next up - sort out the mount location of the transmitter, and then pull the wires to the OH console.

Well everything is in and working like a charm. The Transmitter Module fits perfectly in the space in the headliner above the PS visor. Just have to remove the rear view mirror and visor screws to be able to easily slide it into there. I also covered it in bubble-wrap so that it would not rattle around and make noise. Need to remember the location for programming purposes. Figured that it would save time from having to run the wires to the engine compartment, and so far no issues with opening and closing my shop roller door.

For those interested here are the Audi parts. All can be easily found on eBay for $50 - $75 in total:

Button Assembly = 8E0 959 719
Transmitter Module = 8E0 909 511A, wiring loom usually comes with the Transmitter.

Wiring was pretty straight forward as only needed +12v Switched IGN and -12V Ground to make it work.

The wires on the Audi side are as follows:

Button Assembly
  • Green Wire = +12v Switched IGN
  • Black Wire = +12v Switched IGN (is actually for the button lights, so could also tap into that circuit if you like, I just wired it to the 12v feed)
  • Red Wire = -12v Ground
  • White Wire = Signal to Transmitter Module
  • Yellow Wire = not needed as Audi uses it for a door signal/delay
Transmitter Module
  • Black/Red Wire =+12v Switched IGN
  • Brown/White Wire = -12v Ground
  • Green/White Wire = Signal from Button
Programming is pretty simple with older garage door systems, just hold the I and III buttons and after 20 seconds the light flashes. Press the button you want to program until the light flashes again, followed by pressing/holding your original hand-held remote near the Transmitter Module. When the light blinks three times and then goes solid you should be good-to-go. Rolling code systems are similar, with a few more steps needed to register with the garage door...where Google is your friend.

Happy with the results as they look OEM, and will be adding one of these to my pre-Homelink Audi.

Last edited:
I’m interested in your fleet of vehicles. Let’s see those too!

Just a few different older vehicles in the stable:

1965 FJ45 - still in progress
1996 HDJ80 - converted from FZJ80 - My do-all SHTF vehicle
1998 Audi A4 Quattro Avant - My trusty daily
2005 Audi A4 Quattro Sedan - Son's daily
2007 BMW 335i - Wife's summer car
2011 Porsche Cayenne - Wife's daily

Four dirt bikes and a quad

All are manual transmission, and most have well over 200,000 miles...well other than the 45 which has the least mileage, LOL.

Just a few different older vehicles in the stable:

1965 FJ45 - still in progress
1996 HDJ80 - converted from FZJ80 - My do-all SHTF vehicle
1998 Audi A4 Quattro Avant - My trusty daily
2005 Audi A4 Quattro Sedan - Son's daily
2007 BMW 335i - Wife's summer car
2011 Porsche Cayenne - Wife's daily

Four dirt bikes and a quad

All are manual transmission, and most have well over 200,000 miles...well other than the 45 which has the least mileage, LOL.
No shortage of fun toys at your house!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom