Homebrew Rotopax rack mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I couldn't bring myself to spend $150+ for the rotopax roof mount plate ($60) and a pair of handles ($45 each), not to mention the extra HW required to actually mount the whole thing to my roof. So I bought a 2" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum bar stock from Home Despot for $10 (in hindsight I'd go back and use 1.5" side, 1/8" thick steel as the aluminum flexes a bit when cranking down the U bolts) , two round steel outdoor electric outlet covers for a few bucks , and two stainless steel 3/8" ID washers (for the 3" bolts below). The rest came from McMaster-Carr. Total cost about $50 in parts, plus some drilling and cutting effort.

The final product installed. I used to use 4 or 5 kayak lashing straps, which work ok but take 5-10 minutes to get on and off securely in order to vent the can. For the time being I kept one strap on just for safety until I've put some miles on the setup and I'm sure it won't work its way loose. (I did not use locktite on the U bolts because I'm not sure I want to always keep this installed (or at least installed in the same spot) since as-mounted I think my kayaks won't fit).

The T-handle nut is recessed in the bottom part of the handle, and so it fits down into plate. Thus the load from the can is distributed across the round plate, and the plate is secured by the entire T handle (not just the round base).

1594997103169.png

This is how the ABS block and bolt fit with the top plate and T handle removed. The plate has 3 holes drilled in it - one in the center which is 3/4" and large enough for the handle to drop down, and then holes on either side to ensure the plate sits flush. I know the real Rotopax handle has recessed bumps to hold the handle in place, but I'm using vibration resistant handles which have a locknut in them so I'm not worried about it working loose.
1594997246163.png

Top view of the mount. I cut the ABS bar stock down and used a grinding wheel on my drill to round off the ends so it fits nicely inside the Rotopax mounting holes. The top mount plates are kinda hacked since the ones from HD are about 1/4 to 1/3" too wide. I couldn't source the right side plates this week so I just cut them with a pair of tin snips and sanded down the edges for now. I'll find correctly-sized plates in the future and re-drill/re-paint.
1594997389879.png

ABS block (test fitting). There's a washer and I used the coupling nut though a regular nut probably would worked just as well and required less effort in hind sight.
1594997540216.png

I had to shorten the U bolts to fit. The binding barrels ensure there's minimal additional height since the Rotopax sits on the bar stock (and thus rests on the bolt heads). Since the bar stock plus screw heads are about 1/4" taller than the rack I wrapped some foam in 3M Super-88 tape about 3"-4" over on either side of the bar stock (you can kinda see it 2 photos up) so that the can has something to rest on.

McMaster-Carr parts list for those interested.
1594996827730.png

I resisted buying the 2x plate for a couple years, just got it a couple weeks ago. I'm now short on mount kits and they are sold out everywhere, which is insane at the cost per.

Good solution. I think I may adapt to use the rotopax handle only which is available, the abs, with some coupler nuts and red loctite down the center.

I resisted buying the 2x plate for a couple years, just got it a couple weeks ago. I'm now short on mount kits and they are sold out everywhere, which is insane at the cost per.

Good solution. I think I may adapt to use the rotopax handle only which is available, the abs, with some coupler nuts and red loctite down the center.
That's a good idea. I might've bought the rotopax handle-only if I'd see it. A few bucks more but it would've avoided drilling the plates and with the coupling nut I used I suspect they would easily screw into it if I used a shorter bolt to secure them.

... with some coupler nuts and red loctite down the center.

BTW your call of course but I'd use blue locktite over red. The red stuff is really hard to get loose without a torch or a ton of torque - really it's for frame or suspension parts. The blue stuff will hold just fine and can be disassembled. If you're concerned about grease/oil degrading it there's a blue locktite which is oil-resistant.

BTW your call of course but I'd use blue locktite over red. The red stuff is really hard to get loose without a torch or a ton of torque - really it's for frame or suspension parts. The blue stuff will hold just fine and can be disassembled. If you're concerned about grease/oil degrading it there's a blue locktite which is oil-resistant.
Oh, yeah, I know it's for keeps :) My use case is for four rototrax, which I'm looking at making dedicated roof mounts for. They stack up to an odd height in 4x (2x fits fine on 2 gal ext, 4x not so much - nice product design there for a completely block based system, Rotopax, but I digress). Rotopax provided me some spacers gratis when I asked, but if I'm going to use spacers, I might as well just custom the mount height and have dedicated mounts. the real blocker was coming to terms with buying two more mounts (roof mounts for trax, bumper mounts for pax). I just didn't have a good plan for the 'block' until your post!

Background for future readers : the pax bolts are 5/16" 18 pitch.
To stack 4 rototrax the top of plate to bottom of handle minimum 4.5" before tightening starts. Dlx handle recommended due to how the mold is on rototrax (slot not circle). I don't see how a basic handle could tighten.

Background for future readers : the pax bolts are 5/16" 18 pitch.
To stack 4 rototrax the top of plate to bottom of handle minimum 4.5" before tightening starts. Dlx handle recommended due to how the mold is on rototrax (slot not circle). I don't see how a basic handle could tighten.

I hadn't seen the Rototrax before. I have 2 TREDs and just have them strapped down with two kayak lashing straps. They're so light (compared to the Rotopax) that the straps have held fine (no real weight sloshing around like a full jerry can), and I can get them off in about 60 seconds. That Rototrax mount is a cool idea though

I didn't have a lot of investment in trax yet; and wanted four. The rototrax are super new, not reviewed anywhere, and inexpensive. The traction studs are very maxtrax like (unlike my other generic trax which have a different stud design). The "downside" has a couple substantial ribs and large voids, otherwise smooth. Looks like it'll hold well in mud, snow, sand with good displacement. Might be pretty useless on rock or firm surfaces. Time will tell, of course.
The plastic is quality and is more 'flexy' than 'stiff', which I think is good for this tool.
Warranty is only a year though.

They stack super well. Four of them are 6" high. Each trax 2.5" thick. (excluding studs)

Here are the rototrax mounts. I may make up a center block out of wood To mimic the traditional mount aluminum block,but I think as is these will work fine.
1 5/16 by 3” hex bolt, nut, washer, lock washer
blue loctite
1 1 3/4” 5/16 coupling nut
1 dlx handle
1 23H Yakima mighty mount

solution requires 2 total

have the bars off t the moment, will come back and post a mounted photo later

202ADB2F-7830-4599-AD9C-D8A8B009CB61.jpeg

C2613EB4-DEAD-45C4-B3CB-31E4CC8AC8A0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom