Homebrew rear bumper attachments? (4x4Labs etc) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there. Got a 4x4 Labs bumper kit coming in the mail (FedEx says tomorrow!) I'm hoping after I get the main thing built to fab up a homebrew carrier to hold:
  • 2x WaterBrick containers (7 gals total)
  • 4.5 gallon Rotopax
  • 5lb Propane bottle
  • Small Garden sprayer (makes camping dishes *super easy*)
I can't be the only person to embark on this journey, so I'd love to see some of what you all have come up with. Right now I'm imagining building this second swingarm attachment around a 2x2 box 1/8" wall piece of rectangular steel, with attachments on three sides...Luke and HD also mentioned they had a propane bottle holder ready to go so I ordered that, so I think my main "figuring out" is going to be arrangement of all the items and then whatever bracket makes sense for the Water Bricks.

I'd love to see any other homebrew bumper carrying solutions...I'm also trying to figure out what to do with my MTB bike, considering a hitch mount but have a fantasy of trying to fit all of this stuff on the bumper if I can figure it out--maybe weld in a higher up hitch mount on a swing to keep offroad clearance when the bike is attached or something...show me what you've come up with! (I did sort out a bike mount on my Bowfin rack, only to find out the bike snags *every* *damn* *tree* on the trails...)

Also it's been almost 10 years since I last got to play with my welder, thankfully it fired right up today. :D
1596751750911.png

You are certainly enterprising to want to weld together the Labs bumper after your welder had a 10 year hiatus! Haha. Also in Los Angeles, I have a labs and love it! Good choice!!!

Thanks...I did build a bumper for a 4x4 rig from scratch a long time ago (I had an Xterra) so I kind of know what I'm in for...I think...maybe?

This was about 2002...I'm just happy that the lines of the 4x4Labs bumper should be a lot nicer looking than what I came up with back in the day.

1596761307108.png

With a new bumper about to be built, I’m thinking about the same accessory list as you. So far I have...

Locking Jerry can holder
Hi-lift Jack mount
Fire extinguisher
Telescopic camp light

Like your propane tank mount too
For dishes, I like a solar shower bag.

Last edited:
It's on my 100, on a slee, but I built a cooler mount that accepts a yeti (55?) and some rotopax + fire extinguisher. Nice option if you don't have a fridge and need the space inside for sleeping.

1596813301688.png

1596813323708.png

1596813772595.png

Gonna have shady characters perusing your beer selection while you step inside the gas station to take a pee :eek:

Looks awesome though

Gonna have shady characters perusing your beer selection while you step inside the gas station to take a pee :eek:

Looks awesome though

Definitely not designed for urban environments :grinpimp: That said, the two corners on the side that opens each accept a padlock. So, it's typically locked shut and the toggle clamps locked shut, whenever It's going to be around untrustworthy people. If they want my beer bad enough they'll get it though...all things are possible through cordless angle grinders :rofl:

As my first ever welding project I built up a standard bumper with just a dual fuel carrier plus tire carrier. In retrospect it was a Massive amount of work, even without any unique attachments.

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

There are some cool ideas in here

Hey there. Got a 4x4 Labs bumper kit coming in the mail (FedEx says tomorrow!) I'm hoping after I get the main thing built to fab up a homebrew carrier to hold:
  • 2x WaterBrick containers (7 gals total)
  • 4.5 gallon Rotopax
  • 5lb Propane bottle
  • Small Garden sprayer (makes camping dishes *super easy*)
I can't be the only person to embark on this journey, so I'd love to see some of what you all have come up with. Right now I'm imagining building this second swingarm attachment around a 2x2 box 1/8" wall piece of rectangular steel, with attachments on three sides...Luke and HD also mentioned they had a propane bottle holder ready to go so I ordered that, so I think my main "figuring out" is going to be arrangement of all the items and then whatever bracket makes sense for the Water Bricks.

I'd love to see any other homebrew bumper carrying solutions...I'm also trying to figure out what to do with my MTB bike, considering a hitch mount but have a fantasy of trying to fit all of this stuff on the bumper if I can figure it out--maybe weld in a higher up hitch mount on a swing to keep offroad clearance when the bike is attached or something...show me what you've come up with! (I did sort out a bike mount on my Bowfin rack, only to find out the bike snags *every* *damn* *tree* on the trails...)

Also it's been almost 10 years since I last got to play with my welder, thankfully it fired right up today. :D
View attachment 2395605

I made attachments for my rear bumper pics are in my build thread. I did tire carrier, ladder, jerrycans, and propane tank.

9193C43D-8DD5-427B-AAE0-7F4326A868EC.jpeg

With regards to the MTB rack, I would definitely try and put it on the swing out if possible. I have a single swingout right now (just for the spare tire), and have been running a tray style hitch bike rack in my bumper hitch (similar placement to 4x4 labs hitch). It's really annoying to have to remove the bike/rack to be able to get in the back (I've just been keeping my bike on the back fulltime due to quarantine). Annoying enough that I haven't been in the rear of my truck in several weeks. Obviously, not a tenable long term solution.

Having transported bikes both on the roof and disasmbled inside the truck in the past, I am very sold on the rear tray style rack as being the way to go. I think if you don't build it in now you will just want to add it later. I'm trying to figure out how I want to attach my rack to my swing out myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom