home made roof racks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just welded a non plated nut on the underside, nice and simple

Nice!

Did a test fit of the gutter mounts and trying to figure the crossbar length I want. I'll be going with a 48" crossbar with 1" tube outside of that to make up the basket portion. So far so good. Waiting on materials to arrive so I can finish this thing up.

Looks like your fab skills are spilling over to the Cruiser! Look forward to seeing that rack full of camping gear this summer.

Butch

:popcorn:

Butch1979 said:
Looks like your fab skills are spilling over to the Cruiser! Look forward to seeing that rack full of camping gear this summer.

Butch

:popcorn:

You know it!! Wait till we finish work on your trailer...hellz yes!!

swampbucks said:
looks great....are you not worried about being top heavy?

Not to worried. The towers will be the heaviest, the rest I'll keep as light as I can. I'm notorious for over building so try to keep that in mind.

I guess I should add the one I made for my HDJ81
IMG_1236.jpg
IMG_1237.jpg
IMG_1239.jpg

nice rack:bounce:

nice rack

Got the two main crossbars welded up. Next is the 1" for the rest of it. Hopefully be able to post up the build progress.
image-3101399885.jpg
image-3311577141.jpg

Over the camper racks?

Anyone running a truck with a campershell and a rack? I saw one in Florida on a dodge that had posts down to the bedrails on the outside of the shell. It looked like the rack would be installed, then the shell slid into it, and then it all bolted down. I've seen one around town here that has the rack posts going through his shell with some rubber grommets, but the outside mounting seems more useful.

I believe they are for shedding branches and bushes from swiping the cab. correct me if im wrong..

I have 6 of Workingclass's awesome gutter mount brackets and will be fabricating with [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] a lot of assistance in the next little while. I am planning a flat steel rack, full size, outer tube going around and 3 cross bars width wise and 2 cross bars length wise.

Couple questions, for using steel, what do you suggest for OD tube sizing? I was thinking 1 1/4 OD for the outer run and 3/4 OD for the smaller cross bars.

Also... for those of you with a "floor" on the rack, what did you use? Something strong but lightweight? Like a metal mesh?

Andrew

IMG_0702.JPG

Last edited:
Here's another one I made up recently. 1" thin wall tube with 1/8" aluminum diamond plate deck. I welded nuts under the deck to bolt down my deck, storage boxes, fishing equipment, etc. The high-lift and shovel also mounted with welded nuts and studs. The deck holes are to tie things down around the frame and keep a flat deck. I have an aluminum truck type tool which is low profile that fits on the drivers side and holds gear under key and dry.

It sits very low to the roof, has 7 mount points and a aluminum ladder for access that stores inside. I painted it with Imron and it works well. Plus the aluminum deck keeps the interior much cooler on hot days! Not planned, but a pleasant bonus!

The wind deflector makes it very quiet and probably helps a little with mileage.

Doug

Sorry for the crappy pics, all I had.
003 (2) resized.jpg
004 resized.jpg
005 resized.jpg

Last edited:
do you have any more pics of the interior? Did you fab the barrier yourself?

Here are a few more of the interior barrier and organizer I made. We fish a lot on day trips from our main camp and travel with our 3 dogs, so this set up really helps.

The black can is water with a valve and hose, the gray boxes are storage and an IcyTec ice chest.

The barrier is all aluminum, as are the window guards to keep the dogs safe and secure. The barrier sits high enough to allow sleeping with the seat down without feeling cramped.

The ladder slides into a forward mount and uses a threaded knob into a nut-sert to keep it in place.

I made it all from aluminum and it leaves plenty of room the the 3 dogs ( Vizsla, German Short Hair Pointer and a Jack Russell). Yes...They love the sliding windows!
Doug
DSC09718.jpg
DSC09722.jpg
P1000117.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom